Should I keep 1 bantam hen in my flock?

Chickychickyxx

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2020
Finland
Hi! So with all your help here I found out that I have 1 black Dutch bantam in my flock. She's so small, other chickens just peck and chase her around. I will let them free range in a few days or so, but not sure if it's a good option to stop bullying. However, the rooster also chase and mate with her, I'm afraid he will break her bones or if they have chicks, they're not healthy (I check on internet they say so). I want to keep her but don't know what to do now. Any suggestions? Thank you.

If she’s being bullied by all your chickens, then rehome her. Easiest way you can keep her is having a separate coop and run for her and getting her some bantam friends. But it’s not fair to continue to let her get hurt so I would separate her for now, until you make a decision.

If she’s being bullied by all your chickens, then rehome her. Easiest way you can keep her is having a separate coop and run for her and getting her some bantam friends. But it’s not fair to continue to let her get hurt so I would separate her for now, until you make a decision.
I don't have any more spare coop now. Just fixed and gave the last one to the quails. It's also not fair if I let other chickens free range and keep her in her own coop/run (with or without bantam friends). Guess that she might need a new bantam home :( She's a very good layer and beautiful though.... 😭😭😭

I don't have any more spare coop now. Just fixed and gave the last one to the quails. It's also not fair if I let other chickens free range and keep her in her own coop/run (with or without bantam friends). Guess that she might need a new bantam home :( She's a very good layer and beautiful though.... 😭😭😭

You just have to do what’s best for your chickens :hugs When you have room you could always get some more bantams. But for now, it sounds like she’d be best suited to joining someone else’s bantam flock.

I do have a single bantan chicken and she's low dominance. she's no longer bullied by the other hens but she does keep to herself. It's possible for you to keep yours, I think one trick is to provide enough space for her to be able to keep away from the other chickens when needed. If your run is small, free ranging is a good idea. Inside your run, provide an area that she can hide under or behind or an outdoor roost where she can climb. It shouldn't be a problem with the rooster, if you don't want chicks from them just collect eggs, don't incubate.
Remember, if you give her away, any place she's going to go she will likely be the low chicken again no matter what kind of chickens they have.

Back
Top Bottom