Should i keep albert?

americana-chick

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 18, 2008
I had an Ancona hen duck (alberta) for a while and got her a friend-Albert. But sadly Alberta was killed by a fox attack and now i have a lonely male duck. I have been looking and looking for a hen duck but cant find one anywhere. I can give Albert back to his old farm where there are tons of ducks but i love having the little guys around but if it came down to it i would choose letting Albert be happy again over me being happy.
Thanks
Bri

Quote:
Why yes if you can't beg, barrow, or buy a duck from that farm that has tons of ducks by all means see if they will take Albert back. They may not, often less drakes. are wanted than ducks. If not see if you can get another drake from them so at least Albert will have a buddy if not a mate. And THANK YOU for being concerned for Albert's happyness.

Quote:
I'm hoping that was meant to be humorous...but it was...dark...

americana-chick - I agree with goosedragon that you might see about getting Albert a drake for a buddy. I have two Mallard drakes that are completely dependent on one another and even sleep together with one's neck stretched up over the back of the other. You can usually find someone looking to get rid of an extra drake. There aren't any poultry swaps coming up in your area, are there?

Quote:
I'm actually quite serious. Some of the parents are so fed up with their kids not taking care of their pet ducks that they are looking to get rid of them anywhere. Not all are processed for dogfood, however. Some are thrown in the back of the truck to be hauled off to farmer's markets in Wisconsin. The hmong love live ducks.

Other times, the recipients of unwanted ducks give them to us because they can't afford them either. This way they upheld their promise not to kill the duck(s).

Thank you everyone. there are a few drakes for sale in my area but no poultry swap.. ( there is never a poultry swap around here
sad.png
) Poor albert hates being in the run with all the other chickens and seems so lonely..
sad.png
I know the farm will take him back because they are a family friend. They said they might give us another duck but i feel kinda bad as they gave us Albert for free and now they are willing to give mee another duck for free.. It made me so sad when Alberta died, i know that albert tried fighting off the fox when Albertawas attacked. it just stinks so bad
sad.png
I love having ducks around here but i am trying to think of what is best for them..
Here is a picture of Albert and Alberta ( Albert is a fawn and white runner duck and Alberta is an Ancona duck)
ChickPicks254.jpg

ChickPicks214.jpg

ChickPicks210.jpg

ChickPicks206.jpg

Quote:
What is your point?

I was hoping somebody would ask, rainplace.

The point is to think twice before getting ducks as pets for yourselves or your children. Generally a farm is in existence to turn a profit, and can't support people's non-productive, unwanted animals.

Easter is around the corner, and many a cute duckling is found in a child's easter basket.

I wonder if they should know what happens to them? So that they realise what they've done and don't think they can get one, then get rid of it anytime, because 'some farmer will be glad to have it'?
Just a thought. Lately I've learned that I don't think like most people, so I may be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom