Should i keep albert?

hm, how old is the Pekin? I'm leaning toward her, though, over the free duck from far away. even if you knew what you were getting, that'll probably cost you at least a few dollars in gas money depending...then there's your time, would you accept $4.50 an hour to drive if it were a job? That's essentially what you're earning, minus gas costs.

What is the age of the duck? I would try to find one that is around the same age of your current duck. Nine dollars for an unprocessed hen of breeding age is okay. It generally takes about $5 in feed just to get a duck to adult size. Adding the cost of the hatchling, say $2, now you are up $7 in value.

Quote:
Great news! I'd go and look at the 9 dollar ducks, make sure it's healthy and see the conditions it's being raised in, make sure you like it. If that checks I would go with the 9 dollar duck! Oh yeah, and like the poster before asked, what's the age? You don't want an old duck hen
smile.png

I'm SO happy for Albert!

Quote:
I'm actually quite serious. Some of the parents are so fed up with their kids not taking care of their pet ducks that they are looking to get rid of them anywhere. Not all are processed for dogfood, however. Some are thrown in the back of the truck to be hauled off to farmer's markets in Wisconsin. The hmong love live ducks.

Other times, the recipients of unwanted ducks give them to us because they can't afford them either. This way they upheld their promise not to kill the duck(s).

I produced canned dog food for 13 years and never ran across duck or dick by products used as an ingredient. I have even run across a game preserve that puts live ducks in with the big cats (lions and such) which is illegal in my state. but I have never heard of them as dog food.

Quote:
Good thinking. Parents like to tell their young children that their former pet duck is now happy living on a farm. In general, though, the parents know the duck will be slaughtered. They just don't want to hear that their former pet duck Daffy is now dog food or a main course for an asian family.

We took the unwanted duck off their hands, and promised them nothing in return.

Other people will dump off their unwanted ducks at the local park and let them fend for themselves.

We run a farm, not a pet sanctuary.

I doubt it! No poultry farmer worth the name would take the chance of allowing a strange bird on their farm because of the threat of disease that could put him out of business in two days. Heck the poultry farms here in NC won't allow their hired help to keep a backyard flock in fear that they might bring a disease in on their shoes or clothing. If you are really doing this consider the health of your flock. You never know what might be going around and ducks are worse than chickens for carrying disease. Bet a bucks worth of dog food against you whole flock?~gd

Back
Top Bottom