Should I keep food in coop at all times

Jun 29, 2019
Hello I just moved our 6 week old chicks and Guineas to their coop. I have there food hanging in the coop. Should I keep it in there at all times or only put it in at certain times. Thank you for any info.

Have it available all waking hours. Some people remove it at night to prevent mice and other vermin from seeking a night time meal. The chickens can't see in the dark so they won't need to eat or drink then.
Chickens are ravenous eaters. When their crop is empty, they are hungry. When they are hungry, they'll eat something. That should be feed.

Last edited:
Personally I try and feed enough for the day. I found that with 24/7 feed, too much is wasted feed. When I lock them up at night, I check the feed bowl. If a lot is left over, I feed less the next day, if it is bare, I feed more. It is rather surprising how this is not real consistent as in this many birds, this much feed.

Feed tends to be a major expense of birds (not considering the coop/run.) Smells often come from wasted feed, and of course, vermin are drawn to a free feed source.

You will find that people do this numerous ways. Some provide feed 24/7 which I do if we are going to be gone for a few days. Some like me, only enough for the day. To each his own.

Mrs K

Have it available all waking hours. Some people remove it at night to prevent mice and other vermin from seeking a night time meal. The chickens can't see in the dark so they won't need to eat or drink then.
Chickens are ravenous eaters. When their crop is empty, they are hungry. When they are hungry, they'll eat something. That should be feed.
Ok, thank you for your reply. Your info was very helpful.

Personally I try and feed enough for the day. I found that with 24/7 feed, too much is wasted feed. When I lock them up at night, I check the feed bowl. If a lot is left over, I feed less the next day, if it is bare, I feed more. It is rather surprising how this is not real consistent as in this many birds, this much feed.

Feed tends to be a major expense of birds (not considering the coop/run.) Smells often come from wasted feed, and of course, vermin are drawn to a free feed source.

You will find that people do this numerous ways. Some provide feed 24/7 which I do if we are going to be gone for a few days. Some like me, only enough for the day. To each his own.

Mrs K

Mrs K
Awesome, thank you for your info. It is very helpful

I don't. I find it keeps the smell and mess down in the coop. They have an automatic door though that lets them out fairly early and automatic bucket feeders in the run. I don't even put feed inside in the winter. It encourages them to leave the coop. Our winters are quite harsh.

Back
Top Bottom