Should I kill a chick?

rt0026

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2016
Well, I ordered 15 buff orphington due to that being the minimum. This was the absolute most I could care for because I live in the city...like house to house, but it is legal to own female chickens.

They had this thing called meyer meal plan. I thought this would be a booklet on what to feed, but it appears they throw in an extra chick of random breed for free. Now I have 16 chickens. They are two days old. I want one less chicken. What do you do?

I'd suggest you keep them all for a while. I'd imagine that your "extra" chick is male, but you will know at 4-5 weeks for sure. You could either keep him and fatten him up, or cull him at 4-5 weeks, once you are sure its a male.

just give it away on craigslist. someone wll be glad to take it esp if you mention it is going to freezer camp later if they don't. Mention it is a straight run chick and you don't know the sex.
Best,
Karen

I'd suggest you keep them all for a while. I'd imagine that your "extra" chick is male, but you will know at 4-5 weeks for sure. You could either keep him and fatten him up, or cull him at 4-5 weeks, once you are sure its a male.
It is probably a pullet. If you read a description of Meyer's meal plan which they describe, they send you what you have ordered. If you order laying pullets, that is what they send you.
There is a good chance not all will survive. If they do I would sell two as chickens are flock animals and prefer company.

I am familiar with the Meyer Meal maker plan. Please do not kill it! If you order broiler chickens they will send you a free extra broiler, if you order hens they will send you a free extra pullet. The first time I ordered I got a White Leghorn pullet whom has faithfully laid an egg every day and the second time I got a Golden Laced Wyandotte pullet whom later died in a weasel attack. Meyer has bad sexing accuracy though, so I imagine that out of 16 ''pullets'' you will have at least one or two cockerels that you can either eat or give away. If they all live to maturity, and they are all hens, I bet you could easily find a flock that would accept a nice, young pullet with plenty of laying potential. Happy chickening!

It is probably a pullet. If you read a description of Meyer's meal plan which they describe, they send you what you have ordered. If you order laying pullets, that is what they send you.
There is a good chance not all will survive. If they do I would sell two as chickens are flock animals and prefer company.

Fair enough. I agree with your sentiments about keeping them all, since one or two may not survive to adulthood.

Well, I ordered 15 buff orphington due to that being the minimum. This was the absolute most I could care for because I live in the city...like house to house, but it is legal to own female chickens.

They had this thing called meyer meal plan. I thought this would be a booklet on what to feed, but it appears they throw in an extra chick of random breed for free. Now I have 16 chickens. They are two days old. I want one less chicken. What do you do?
16 chickens cost little to no more to feed/care for than 15 would. Plus, as has been mentioned, losses can and do happen, so that extra may well be beneficial in the long run. If, in the end, you decide to part with it, I'd almost guarantee someone will be willing to take it. I've ordered from Meyer many times and have opted for the "Meyer Meal Maker" chick twice. Both were pullets of good egg laying breeds (which is what they're supposed to be given my order was all layers) and have grown into wonderful birds. Nutmeg (Gold Laced Wyandotte) and Snow (White Plymouth Rock) are actually two of our favorites now.

Last edited:
Agreed. Always a good option to add variety to the flock. When they get grown up so they no longer require heat, you can easily sell one or more to help recoup some of your feed costs. I strongly suggest that if you sell one, you have a policy of never selling less than 2 at a time, unless it's extenuating circumstances. It's hard for a single bird to join an established flock. Easier if there are 2 or more.

Thanks for the replies. I will try to keep the other chick. I also think some will die on their own or be roosters. It's all about space really. I am buying two formex extra large coops. They hold 12 small or 6 big chickens each. They are 800 each. I am building a large fence around those...maybe a 15 x 15 yard

Thanks for the replies. I will try to keep the other chick. I also think some will die on their own or be roosters. It's all about space really. I am buying two formex extra large coops. They hold 12 small or 6 big chickens each. They are 800 each. I am building a large fence around those...maybe a 15 x 15 yard
I hope your coops are big enough... From what I read the pre mades never hold what they say they will and use cheap thin wood.

$1600 is a decent budget, maybe a pre made shed from Lowes or home depot would be a better use of your $$

Good luck, 16 chickens is a lot of chickens for a small backyard flock.

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

Back
Top Bottom