Should I kill a chick?

I strongly suggest that you listen to PP. Check out ALL other options before investing in a pre-fab coop. They are almost ALWAYS mis-represented, of poor construction, and do not meet the needs of the bird. For the same amount of money, you can most likely purchase a pre-made shed, and have it set up on your lot. It will be a walk in, and you will have a building that WILL meet your needs. Your birds will need a minimum of 4 s.f./bird in the coop and 15 s.f./bird in the run to avoid issues with behavior and illness, and make it easy for you to care for them. You could also most likely contract with a local builder to build a coop for the same amount of money.

Totally agree with y'all about the prefab coops often being insufficient. We built out first 2 coops, the both from salvage wood and if you don't account for time, we have less than $300 in both of them, one's 6x10, the other is 8x12. We also lucked up at a couple auctions and scored 2 mini barns, a 10x16 for $20 (had to do some minor repairs and move it, but it's NICE) and an 10x10 for $70. Both are set up with reinforced chain link dog kennels as runs. All said and done, we've got less than $400 in both of them, runs and all, counting repairs. With your given budget you could give them a deluxe set up, if you're willing to shop around and think out of the box. The pic is an image of the inside of "Villa de Cluck" (the big mini barn coop) after repairs and chickens.

Raise them all up and see how many you have left when they're 6 weeks old. At that point, you'll be able to tell if you have any Oops cockerels, also.

At 6-8 weeks, I get about $8 each for pullets. An ad on CL usually nets more responses than I have birds. Folks like that they're coop ready, don't need a heat lamp, and sex is pretty much guaranteed.

I did a quick search on the Formex coops. It's a neat concept, I think. The plastic is probably pretty durable and the no tool thing is nice for a lot of folks. But, I think the space is going to be an issue. I agree, for that price I'd look into a shed instead. Walk in coops are lovely, you have extra space for storage or isolating a sick or broody bird (something quite possible with your Orpingtons) or to just hang out and chill with your birds when it's raining.

Raise them all up and see how many you have left when they're 6 weeks old. At that point, you'll be able to tell if you have any Oops cockerels, also. 

At 6-8 weeks, I get about $8 each for pullets. An ad on CL usually nets more responses than I have birds. Folks like that they're coop ready, don't need a heat lamp, and sex is pretty much guaranteed. 

I did a quick search on the Formex coops. It's a neat concept, I think. The plastic is probably pretty durable and the no tool thing is nice for a lot of folks. But, I think the space is going to be an issue. I agree, for that price I'd look into a shed instead. Walk in coops are lovely, you have extra space for storage or isolating a sick or broody bird (something quite possible with your Orpingtons) or to just hang out and chill with your birds when it's raining. 

X2

The other one died. I didn't kill it. I noticed that it has a black line on its head and back (new). It then started to look sluggish. I dipped its beak in water, showed it some food. It looked like it wanted to sleep. it's eyes were pretty much closed. Later I checked on it and it was outside the heater just sitting looking dead. I picked it up and it moved. I put it back and it sat there. I picked it back up and dug a hole for it outside and it went wild when put in the hole. It flapped it's wings and ran around. I took it back inside and put it in the brooder. I later found it dead when I checked after work.

Back
Top Bottom