Should I leave new chicks with hen or put under light????

SJB

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
Hello, I am new to the group,
I have had chickens for several years, but this is my first time
letting a hen lay on them to hatch. We candled our eggs the other night and all were viable (10 silkies)
and one just hatched with a 2nd with a small hole in the egg. I dont know if I should leave them with mom after they hatch in our MI weather, or move them indoors under a light?!?!? I'd rather
let mom raise them as long as its ok, but if its not I want to know before its too late.
We have them in a fenced enclosure in basically a
dog house type thing we built. We have a full size coop but we moved them to this away from the other chickens for now.

Any tips?

Thanks, Stephanie

Hi and welcome to BYC!
Mom will keep them warm enough and she will teach them things - chicken smarts - that no human can teach them.
smile.png

Just my opinion.

Quote:
I totally agree with gritsar. We recently let our BO hen, Sarah, hatch 6 babies, and she was the most amazing mother to them. She taught them how to eat and how to forage. She led them to the waterer when she felt they needed to drink, showed them how to preen themselves and take dust baths. She chased them all back into the nest at bedtime, and kept them warm and safe from harm until they were 6 weeks old (which is when chicken moms lose interest and send their kids on their merry way...). Nature knows best, so leave them with their mother.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, thats what I was hoping!
I like to let nature take its course and try to do things
more natural around here so thats great news!
She has never had chicks before, but I could tell she'd be
a great mother when we got some new chicks in the spring and she was trying to shelter and care for them.

Stephanie

Back
Top Bottom