Should I let my 12-yr old solo hen re-learn to live alone?

The one who dies was "Winnie" and the elder girl is "Ms Chicken Little"
How cute! Any pictures?

I'm paring down - my husband passed a year ago and with 2 large dogs, the chickens and even couple of aquatic turtles - all my husband's idea - I need to slow the menagerie down rather than build it back up.
Awe, you've got a lot on your plate. I hear turtles can be quite messy! :p

I have a 12-year old hen. Her "friend" since birth died over 3 years ago and I got an 1-yr old chicken for her at that time. They fought for a few weeks but then have been fine together these past 3 years. The younger one, never layed an egg, while my 12-yr old has continued to lay eggs. However, the young one died today. I really don't want to get another hen for her, given her age, but how long will it take for her to get used to living alone. She has full run of my backyard during the day.
Chickens are Social animals they have a social nature so no :) it would be like solitary prison for her to live alone :) maby give her a hen parnter to stay with her. also what breed is she and what breed are the younger ones

I really don't think it will be too bad. Thing is, chickens hate change. But adding a new bird would be a bigger change than the loss of the old bird. She has to be moving a bit slower, a bit more stiffly, and putting her with a younger bird, and have them be in competition, I think that would be worse.

I would just let her be. Yes, chickens are pretty social animals, but there is also the stress of living with others.

I think she will be fine.

I really don't think it will be too bad. Thing is, chickens hate change. But adding a new bird would be a bigger change than the loss of the old bird. She has to be moving a bit slower, a bit more stiffly, and putting her with a younger bird, and have them be in competition, I think that would be worse.

I would just let her be. Yes, chickens are pretty social animals, but there is also the stress of living with others.

I think she will be fine.
I agree. I think adding a new bird at that age would just stress her out more. I know my 3 older girls hide in the coop all day currently because of my cockerels 😭 I feel awful for them because they’re terrified of them because all the boys ever do is jump them. 😤 don’t worry, the boys are going soon.

I know this isn’t a cockerel so not quite the same but still... new birds can often stress them out until they work out the pecking order and at that age they may not win.

Also, chickens are social but some of mine would rather be alone than with the flock or maybe with just one friend. Sometimes they purposely seek out some alone time so I’d say she’d be fine especially with a human companion. Maybe she could even come inside and be a house chicken ???

I'm paring down - my husband passed a year ago and with 2 large dogs, the chickens and even couple of aquatic turtles - all my husband's idea - I need to slow the menagerie down rather than build it back up.

Of course you could keep this hen until she dies of old age, but have you considered whether you want to? If you are trying to pare down, then "no chickens" might be a logical step.

I agree, I would let her live out her days alone. Spend a little time with her each day to provide stimulation and company for her (and you).

Adding another chicken is not in your plans so I would not recommend that. Likewise, she's been with you for all her life - it would be very stressful for her to be re-homed. I think she belongs where she is for whatever time she has left. She will adapt to being by herself.

Back
Top Bottom