Should I let my broody 23 wk old pullet sit on a clutch????

My 2-cents. She's not old enough to have gained enough body fat to sustain her through the brooding process. Broody chickens tend to 'grab a quick bite' and lose condition while brooding; this could be fatal to a skinny girl without you helping her by serving HIGH protein and calorie dense foods like sardines packed in oil, meat scraps, fruit, sunflower seeds, mealworms and the like; and of course, only serving these delicacies to her, not the whole flock, to ensure that she's getting enough protein and calories without making the rest of your flock fat!

My 2-cents. She's not old enough to have gained enough body fat to sustain her through the brooding process. Broody chickens tend to 'grab a quick bite' and lose condition while brooding; this could be fatal to a skinny girl without you helping her by serving HIGH protein and calorie dense foods like sardines packed in oil, meat scraps, fruit, sunflower seeds, mealworms and the like; and of course, only serving these delicacies to her, not the whole flock, to ensure that she's getting enough protein and calories without making the rest of your flock fat!
That is a very good point. I think I may move her to my feed room which is insulated and never gets anywhere near freezing. I can keep a good eye on her there and feed her treats. My guess is she will break when I move her.

My BLCM pullet is broody. She is only 23 weeks old, and started laying last month. I'd love to give her some eggs to hatch out. Has anyone ever had a broody pullet that they let sit on eggs?? And if yes, how did she do ??
It is day 2 for her. I was going to put her in a broody pen tomorrow after dark. I figure if she remains happily siting on the golf balls once I move her, then I'll let her try hatching some real eggs.

Thoughts?
My sizzle did that. She set on eggs just fine.

there are risks like i mentoned, but letting the hen raise the chicks (if she's a good mother) can save you money since you won't have to get chick feed, provide heat (unless it's in a freezing environment). however, you may want to move her to a seperate pen to prevent confrontation from her and the other hens.
Then who is going to get the chick feed? What do you expect the chick to eat? The hen will do the mothering, the human has to provide the shelter, food (chick food - mama eats it right along with baby as she doesn’t need extra calcium) and water. You need a backup brooder with a heat lamp just in case the babies are rejected.
Chickens do not breast feed, and that’s the only thing I can think of as to why you would say that. Also, a mother chicken is more than capable of keeping her chicks alive during freezing temperatures. They have been hatching and raising chicks way before human beings started caring for them and building them coops. Chicks raised by a chicken are super tough, are rarely affected by coccidiosis or pasty butt, and regulate their own temperatures way better than wussy little brooder chicks.

Last edited:
Then who is going to get the chick feed? What do you expect the chick to eat? The hen will do the mothering, the human has to provide the shelter, food (chick food - mama eats it right along with baby as she doesn’t need extra calcium) and water. You need a backup brooder with a heat lamp just in case the babies are rejected.

I'm not sure what she meant about not needing to buy chick starter. LOL Yes, yes, I will have brooder ready.

I'm not sure what she meant about not needing to buy chick starter. LOL Yes, yes, I will have brooder ready.
My barely over 1 year old white rock hatched a baby and was fine. You just have to be vigilant. There are a lot of people talking from their own experiences or just assuming bc the chicken is young. Nature and evolution are an amazing thing - just bc it’s a terrible idea to let a 16 year old child raise a baby does not mean it’s bad for a juvenile animal to do so. Let her do her thing /‘if she abandons the eggs so be it, now you know. When hatch time comes, just be vigilant and watch and see how she responds. If you lose a chick it’s not the end of the world. But usually when the broody instinct kicks in, they follow through. Like I said, just see what happens. However, make sure you have a plan for potential roosters.
That’s all. There is no right or wrong, it’s all a matter of vigilance.

That is a very good point. I think I may move her to my feed room which is insulated and never gets anywhere near freezing. I can keep a good eye on her there and feed her treats
I had a broody set and hatch in a frigid Jan/Feb, it worked out OK, with lots if intervention by me to keep water thawed....but I wouldn't do it again(why I just broke my 24 week old pullet).
She was separated in the coop from the flock by a wire wall. She was fine setting, but it was risky when chicks started leaving the nest. I believe some got mildly frostbitten feet. Integration happened at about 3 weeks in Mar when it had warmed up.

Back
Top Bottom