Should I let my broody 23 wk old pullet sit on a clutch????

Pics

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
My BLCM pullet is broody. She is only 23 weeks old, and started laying last month. I'd love to give her some eggs to hatch out. Has anyone ever had a broody pullet that they let sit on eggs?? And if yes, how did she do ??
It is day 2 for her. I was going to put her in a broody pen tomorrow after dark. I figure if she remains happily siting on the golf balls once I move her, then I'll let her try hatching some real eggs.

Thoughts?

Earlier this week my 7 month old bantam cochin pullet hatched out 3 baby brahma mixes, she has been a very protective and gentle mother so far. she only began laying at 6 months so she is very young.
-Edit, i also have another that has chicks coming next week

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 71
My 2-cents. She's not old enough to have gained enough body fat to sustain her through the brooding process. Broody chickens tend to 'grab a quick bite' and lose condition while brooding; this could be fatal to a skinny girl without you helping her by serving HIGH protein and calorie dense foods like sardines packed in oil, meat scraps, fruit, sunflower seeds, mealworms and the like; and of course, only serving these delicacies to her, not the whole flock, to ensure that she's getting enough protein and calories without making the rest of your flock fat!

I had a half dozen or so pullets go broody this spring and summer. The first 5 experiences didn't not go well for one reason or another. I had moms that didn't want their babies when they hatched and tried to kill them before leaving me to raise them. I finally had my first successful broody hatch about week ago.

Then little satin gal that was dropped off to me as a teenager (for being a boy lol) laid 5 or so eggs and went broody. I gave her some standard eggs (hers weren't fertilized) and she hatched them out like a pro and has become the fiercest mom. After the many failed attempts, I am a little cautious at this point and only willing to let them try to hatch eggs if I'm planning to do so anyway. But I have to say, there are few things sweeter than a good broody with her babies!

20201101_141838~2.jpg

Henry with her jersey giant chicks.

Input im gonna give seems to be in the minority here. Having said that, i have had many MANY pullets of various breeds go broody & hatch chicks. Easter eggers, australorps, welsummers, marans, rhode island reds, buff orpingtons, production reds, red & gold sex-links (yes some have!), at 7-8 months. The youngest was a cuckoo marans that started laying at 24 weeks. I swear she laid 6 eggs then promptly went broody. She was an excellent first-time mother. She (Matilda) is now 5 years old & still raises chicks every year. I did always give the pullets bigger eggs from more mature hens. (Not small pullet eggs). Never once did i have a pullet quit setting, & ONly once did a pullet (production red) attack a chick as it was hatching. I didnt know i was "supposed" to let the pullets get older before hatching, & ignorance was bliss! I agree that after a broody has hatched her first clutch, she knows Exactly what she is doing, & there is no need to worry. But it seems like that would be true no matter the age of the broody? Personally, i would be more concerned about possible current cold winter weather than the age of your pullet. Yes the broody will keep the chicks warm, but u will need to keep drinking water warm-ish (so chicks dont get chilled.) You will also need to watch the chicks closely the first 48 hours to make sure they are strong enough to keep up with & go under the broody hen for warmth. Otherwise, chicks can quickly get cold, disoriented and die. And of course dont let mama hen or chicks get wet. Not discounting the expertise of others input, just saying all my dozens of broody pullets through the years have been excellent mothers. (With the exception of the one).

My BLCM pullet is broody. She is only 23 weeks old, and started laying last month. I'd love to give her some eggs to hatch out. Has anyone ever had a broody pullet that they let sit on eggs?? And if yes, how did she do ??
It is day 2 for her. I was going to put her in a broody pen tomorrow after dark. I figure if she remains happily siting on the golf balls once I move her, then I'll let her try hatching some real eggs.

Thoughts?

I let any of my hens set on eggs when they become broody, no mater the hens age. (Even 10 year old geriatric hens who aren't laying but one a week...) If she decides to brood, she's old enough. This year my 20 week old Olive egger went broody, 21 days +6 weeks ago... and I swear she was only laying a week or two, and the only fertile eggs available were theirs. this flock all were the same age, 20 weeks, olive eggers Americauna, speckled Sussex, salmon faveroli, and cream legbar. The roo is an 5 year old Americauna who played Mr. Mom while his flock was growing from chick to hen. so when she went broody, I let her set on 12 "tiny teenager eggs", and she hatched 8, and they are all doing splendidly. The bb's are 6 weeks now. But danged if we got some white ones I can't figure where they came from because none of the moms are white, maybe dad isn't pure?!? 🤔 But bb's are bb's, and all are welcome.

The experts do suggest though that you only hatch med or larger eggs because the chick has less space to grow in a smaller egg (which I didn't pay attention to...). But the hen is grown and fully capable of hatching anyone's eggs as soon as she says she is. And my Olive egger is a dedicated mommy now

Thoughts?
Yes let her do it. My little mutt was barely 6 months when she hatched 7 babies and 6 weeks after hatched three more. She’s sounds like a ticking bomb clucking every where. It seems that she’s doing it again.and she was a wonderful mom from the start

That is a very good point. I think I may move her to my feed room which is insulated and never gets anywhere near freezing. I can keep a good eye on her there and feed her treats
I had a broody set and hatch in a frigid Jan/Feb, it worked out OK, with lots if intervention by me to keep water thawed....but I wouldn't do it again(why I just broke my 24 week old pullet).
She was separated in the coop from the flock by a wire wall. She was fine setting, but it was risky when chicks started leaving the nest. I believe some got mildly frostbitten feet. Integration happened at about 3 weeks in Mar when it had warmed up.

Back
Top Bottom