should i let my chickens die naturally?

does it seem moraly right to let chicken suffer?

• Total voters
Planted mustard seeds.. because I enjoy watching these things grow.. Now the remainder depends on the fertility and the depth of the rocky soil, and some rain. So I too am outta here.. PEACE
Yes - Jesus would be so proud of you. Your patience, understanding and loving attitude perfectly reflects his from the BuyBull. Good job. Running back to church now so I can be surrounded by more people like you.

since chickens would not lay that much eggs if they would be in the natural habitat is it moraly right to let them die because egg laying problem... 300 eggs a year is too much and it doesnt seem like it is fair to let them suffer from liver damage egg peritrosis etc.
what do you think?
Side topics aside, I'm still not sure I'm really understanding the question. What do you mean by an "egg laying problem"? Laying too much? Too little? Or something like being egg-bound? I don't consider "too many eggs" to be a problem that warrants euthanasia. If you don't want your chickens laying more than is healthy, don't run lights in the winter and get a breed that isn't too overbred. But I wouldn't assume that laying an egg a day most of the year is a sign of suffering.

I had never heard of egg peritonitis but looked it up and it sounds like something that would warrant euthanasia, same with being egg-bound although I would probably try to treat the latter first as eggs can sometimes be passed.

It really depends on the ailment and the person making the decision, and as I've said before, while I think it is ethical do euthanize a suffering bird, that doesn't make it immoral to give it a chance to recover if you think it has a chance. Which is why I'm having trouble answering the survey question...there's no answer that fits my opinion.

The problem I often have is that it's really hard to diagnose a sick bird. I recently had a rooster who seemed to have an injured foot, and I was treating him for that, but as he got worse I started to suspect it might actually be Marek's or one of the dozens of diseases that look like Marek's. I spent a lot of time researching symptoms online and trying to figure out if he was a goner or just needed extra vitamins and time to recover but never got a clear answer. He was sick for less than a week, during which time he ate and drank and there were at least 2 mornings where he looked significantly better than the night before and I thought he was recovering. But in the end he rapidly deteriorated and died in less than 24 hours, leading me to believe it was an illness after all.

Was it morally wrong that I didn't put him down when he first showed signs of illness? I have seen chickens recover from worse symptoms, given time and TLC, and I noted that he was still eating, which is usually a sign of wanting to live. So I think I did the best I could with the knowledge I had, short of taking him to a vet, which is just not something I can afford. I'm sure not everyone would have followed my same course of action, but it's really hard to know when a bird is suffering with no chance of recovery, without a diagnosis from a vet or a really obvious injury.

I would like to die naturally.. in my sleep would be better than at work or on the street in a hail of bullets.. Likely my fault, but nonetheless... So I apply it to chickens and dogs as well.. Go to sleep..

hi!

since chickens would not lay that much eggs if they would be in the natural habitat is it moraly right to let them die because egg laying problem... 300 eggs a year is too much and it doesnt seem like it is fair to let them suffer from liver damage egg peritrosis etc.
what do you think?
I keep my gals and their man for fun. I do not rely on egg production for an income. So I let them live out their life as long as they are healthy. I would euthanize a sick and suffering chicken. Hard for me to do though.

Hi PioneerChicks, I raise breeds that lay colorful eggs at a healthy rate. I also breed F1 Cinnamon Queens that are over three years old and healthy to lay fewer eggs 😊. Welsummer, Barnevelder, Silverudd’s Blue, Araucana, Cream Legbar and Lavender Orpington. My heritage barred rock pen won’t be producing until 2022.
Beautiful! You're living the life over there!

Hi. I basically agree with you. However, I was wondering. As a vegetarian, why is your line drawn at animals? Plants are genetically modified and grown in ways that really hurt the environment just like factory farmed animals. Plants have been proven to react to stimuli, and form symbiotic complex relationships with animals and other plants. Why is it totally fine to eat a Monsanto tomato, but not a cornish x or an egg? Or why do most people not think twice when they rip an apple from their mother tree and tear it's flesh with their teeth? Or dice an heirloom carrot into 100 pieces? I get really hung up on this. Because plants don't have a nervous system YOU can recognize they are morally free of guilt to eat? Or they don't make noise when you pick/kill them? Either way for one to eat something has to sacrifice its life. That is just the way it is. Whether it is a Waygu or a soy bean. Why is it acceptable to kill plants not animals?
Soooo let me guess, you don't cut your grass or kill the weeds that choke out your garden, and you let the blackberry bushes get so out of control that you can't see your house??? Oh wait, that brings up another guesting, aside from brick, concrete and steel what will you use to build your house with or anything else wood is used for? Our universe provides everything we need to survive, but at the rate people are going, with there lack of respect and selfish ways, there won't be much left for the next generation.

Humane euthanasia is done swiftly and without adding stress to the animal. That can be either by cervical dislocation or chemical.

When I've butchered, I hang them upside down by their feet from a tree branch (or you can spring for or make a killing cone which is a little neater), which calms them down because the blood rushes to their head. Then I use a sharp knife to cut the jugular vein on either side, and they pass out within a few seconds and bleed out in a matter of minutes. Might be a little less traumatic than trying to hold them down for an axe, but some people say it doesn't make much difference. I would never take a bird to a vet. Vets are way expensive and my hens are livestock, not pets.
That's how I do it.

Plants don’t have feelings or consciousness. Please - don’t be ridiculous. What are we supposed to survive on, air and the lord? Makes no sense and this is completely irrelevant.
That we can measure.... But then again we cant measure dark matter and that is 85% of our universe.... plats are living organism and deserve respect

hi!

what do you think?
Umm, what do you mean by natural? So the two options are letting them die naturally or letting them suffer? I honestly don't understand respectfully speaking.
I wouldn't consider euthanasia natural. If you are saying natural as in euthanasia then I would pick "natural". Just saying, the question is a bit odd.

Back
Top Bottom