should i let my duck lay on her eggs

holliedures_

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2020
so i have a male and a female, their eggs are definitely fertile and i forgot to collect for like 3 days and she’s just been sitting on them for 3 days. should i allow this and should i be turning them. she won’t actually let me near them and she doesn’t come outside when i’m at home. and if they do actually hatch should i remove the male duck or will he be fine with them. i do have somewhere to put him if needed. and do i let the mum keep them warm once born or should i get a heat lamp?? i know it’s a lot of questions but i’m not finding much online

Allow it if you want ducklings. Are you certain there are eggs in the nest. She will/is turning them. Some drakes are fine with ducklings some are not. Some will attempt to breed the hen while she is on the nest. Keep an eye on him and if behavior is off separate them with a wire barrier so that they can see one another. The mother will keep them warm. I'd limit access to swimming water until they are a couple of weeks old. Good luck for a successful incubation/hatch.

Allow it if you want ducklings. Are you certain there are eggs in the nest. She will/is turning them. Some drakes are fine with ducklings some are not. Some will attempt to breed the hen while she is on the nest. Keep an eye on him and if behavior is off separate them with a wire barrier so that they can see one another. The mother will keep them warm. I'd limit access to swimming water until they are a couple of weeks old. Good luck for a successful incubation/hatch.
ok ok thank you so much, i havnt got the space for a lot of ducklings i just want to keep maybe two but if i sell the rest and obviously making sure they are going to good homes is that like ok for the mum and the ducklings?

Back
Top Bottom