Should I Let My Ducklings Outside Now?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HomesteadDucks, Apr 25, 2017.

1. HomesteadDucks

HomesteadDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2015
    Tonight looks like it is going to be the last cold night and I think its about time for the ducklings to get out of my bedroom. According to the 5 degree every week rule, they should be able to handle 65 degrees right now but being me I tested it out and the ducklings are more than happy to run around and swim for hours in 45 - 50 degree weather. 65 seems to be a bit over estimated for these guys. Tonight will be the last time that nighttime temperatures will drop below 45 and their house is dry and full of fresh hay (It's probably thicker than they are tall so theres plenty for them to snuggle into). But the only thing is that it is raining this whole week. I don't want them to run around outside all day and get soaked to the bone then sleep wet all night long. But it could turn out that this is not going to be a problem for them and they will dry out quickly in the hay. What do you guys think? Should I put my ducklings outside on a rainy 50 degree night as long as they have plenty of warm bedding?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. Tlmcq

Tlmcq Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Pomeroy, OH
    How old are they? Are they mostly feathered? How many are going out? If they are about 6 weeks and you have enough ducklings they can keep each other warm they'll be fine.

3. HomesteadDucks

HomesteadDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2015
    I ended up letting them out and keeping a close eye on them. I kept the brooder going inside in case they started to look cold but they were perfectly fine. They've been outside continuously for a week or so now. No problems

4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Great. They are probably happy to be out. I think the temps are over estimated as well. By 4 weeks mine stayed away from the heat lamp all together. They were brooded in the outside coop. It was in the 30s and 40s at night. But they did great :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by