Should I let my girls out of the run?

Stickle5301

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
Hocking county, ohio
I have 5 Hens, about a year old now. They have a hen house inside a 20 ft x 20 ft dog kennel run. We are coming out of winter here in Ohio and they've ate all the grass in their run. We live in the country and have 3.5 acres ourself. Should I let them out of the run to graze and hangout every once in awhile or no?

I'm sure they're fine in the run with plenty of room for 5 chickens but I feel bad they dont get to snack on the grass.. my biggest fear is they wont return lol.

Unless your chickens have a very strange problem LOL they WILL return. They know that’s their house and at night it’s natural for they will go in. Your only problem should really just be hawks in the day. They will be fine in the run but I don’t blame you for wanting them to snack. We had hawk problems in Michigan this year but there was also an over abundance of them this year. They love to eat the bugs outside and I’m absolutely sure that they would return. Lol I felt the same way at first with mine. If you ever need to call them back I tell “Come on girls!!” While I toss scratch into their coop and they come running! I don’t even need the scratch anymore. All I have to do is call and their there. So your chickens should return and be just fine.

You can try slowly introducing the big wide world to them.

IF you choose to let them out maybe start out by letting them out an hour or 2 before dark. They won't wander far in that time so will be able to see the coop to return.

I train mine to come when called by using a bright color feed scoop and making a specific noise then giving a small amount of the treat inside the run. Over time and repetition they learn to head for the run when they hear that specific noise.

They are definitely creatures of habit.

You will have other problems besides hawks, but I agree, hawks are probably the biggest problem. Neighbors comes to mind next, so that depends on how close the chickens roam to any neighbor’s property line. We have 4 acres, and really just one neighbor on one side, but our land is a long skinny strip, so I have to constantly watch out for my chickens going over the neighbor’s fence. Fortunately they rarely do it any more, since I got rid of my turkeys. Boy! Those turkeys were always going over there and then forgetting how to get back over the fence!

Then after hawks and neighbors, there are stray dogs, coyotes and foxes to worry about. Coyotes and foxes DO hunt in the daytime. Having said all that, I still think the benefits of free ranging outweigh the dangers. But if any of those problems increased in frequency past a certain point, then I would rethink. The more you are around BYC, the more you will see that everybody has to do things how they think fits their situation best.

Good luck. I think you will enjoy watching your chickens free range at least a little bit.

Your chickens will definitely return, probably around dusk. Ours free range (even in the pre-pandemic days when I'd be at work) and they're a lot of fun to watch, but we live in the suburbs where there aren't many daytime predators. We've had stray dogs get into the yard though and kill chickens. You will definitely need to make sure you close the door at night and be vigilant about all the predators @Finnie lists during the day.

I don't give guarantees with living animals, it seems that some of then live to make a liar out of you. But this is about as close as I can come to a guarantee. They will return at night to sleep if they can at all. Their instinct is to return to where they are used to sleeping, they can get pretty desperate about that. They may not return during the day but they will return to sleep if they can.

Mine generally return during the day to lay eggs where they are used to laying eggs. On rare occasions a hen may decide to hide a nest when they are out but this is rare. Usually it is not a problem.

One thing I have seen, chickens don't have a concept of "gate". I've seen mine get trapped behind the run fencing when they are desperate to return to the coop to sleep. The gate they have been using may be 10 to 15 feet away but they don't use it. They pace the fence, try to push through it, but won't walk a few feet to go through a gate that is wide open. The first few nights yours are out there check them at bedtime, they may need some help finding a gate. But after you help them once or twice they figure it out. Most of mine don't have this problem but every now and then you get a couple.

I have 16 girls and agree with all of the important points above:
Beware: coyotes, fox, hawks, bobcats, and dogs.
Having said that we’ve had attacks and no system will be fool proof. Predators are smart and see you 1,000 times to you seeing them only once. I have seen some crazy stuff for example walking out of my front door and pulling a hawk off of my buff. For me and my comfort level, our hens are pets. They come in every night, and are locked up tight. I let them free range only when I am home. I usually let them out in the afternoons. I keep a close eye. Sometimes all day if I’m doing yard work or cleaning their coop. It’s so healthy for them to get out and forage and it’s a great way for you to get to know their personalities and make them happy. Do what you think is best for you. Enjoy them but be cautious. They’ll love you for it! 🍀♥️😎

You will find they probably won't go very far from the house for the first week or so of being let out then they will venture further and further away..
During the first few days you will be able to lure them back with scratch etc and get them used to the idea of coming when called.

Hope it works well for you

Back
Top Bottom