Should I let my girls out of the run?

I'm sure they're fine in the run with plenty of room for 5 chickens but I feel bad they dont get to snack on the grass.. my biggest fear is they wont return lol.
If they're well homed.. they are creatures of habit and will return to the same lay box every day and the same roost every evening.

You biggest issue is knowing your predator load.. loose domestic dogs are a number one. Hawks, coyote, fox.. may vary by season AND time of day..

Yes using the scratch in a tin can and shaking while saying here chick chick or whatever you like to them used to being called in IF needed to be locked in earlier than usual roost time.. is an effective training/recall technique.

I don't give guarantees with living animals, it seems that some of then live to make a liar out of you.
It was hard to decide if this was informational or hilarious since it was both and you cannot make this stuff up! :lau

I have watched many a chicken pace the fence and try hole after hole turning around inches before reaching the opening and never consider hopping the 4 ft to clear the fence either. :rolleyes:

I've helped my share find the gate or extra motivation to fly over during a sudden down pour or after watching them in the rain for too long and feeling sorry/silly.. and realizing how easy it is to get too focused on one area and miss the big picture in life! :pop

Chickens TV.. is educational as well as entertaining. :cool:

It was hard to decide if this was informational or hilarious since it was both and you cannot make this stuff up!
Informational based on experiences but hopefully with a sense of humor.

Chickens TV.. is educational as well as entertaining. :cool:
I was thinking of Chicken TV when I was making that post. Just another example why Chicken TV is better than anything on satellite, antenna, or cable.

Everyone is correct to watch for predators, but one of the main reasons I don't let my girls out is because I know they will destroy my flower and vegetable beds. They keep asking to be let out and I really would love to see them "run free", but, sadly, the will have to stay in their really nice run.

Back
Top Bottom