Should i let the girls name the chicks???

i let my kids name their chickens .... but only after i explained to them the difference between pets and livestock

i have made it very clear to my children that once their egg-laying days are over --- then it is into the gumbo pot for them

now -- when referring to individuals che says their name -- but whe talking about the group -- she says "livestock"

i am proud of her ability to differentiate between the 2

This wil sound mean but I only name my favorite chickens..... I have 17 chikcs that I will only name the one I keep. I have 3,3 month old chicks that I will eventually name and all the others I have named.
taylor

I was always told "NEVER name your dinner". We once raised 25 meaties and processed them into camp freezer. The kids wouldn't eat them if they knew they were from the backyard. The very last bird grew to about 13 weeks, was a pitiful creature and was over 10lbs dressed out. His name was Dinner, and when it came time to eat him, my son 4 at the time, ran away and hid, crying the rest of the day. The meat was very good, but the mood was awful. Even the company we were trying to impress were quiet. My kids eat farm food all the time, but my son still won't eat a chicken unless I show him the package from the store and he is now 16. I hope he outgrows this! We all eat wild game without any qualms, and port and beef, but not chicken. Ours are all egg laying pets.

I only have 4 chicks but I named them all...but told the kids if one of them is a boy they will be going to a friend who is going to be killing it and eating it...they seemed fine with it. When my husband was a boy they used to live on a farm and him and his brothers used to name all the animals even when they where for food....so they had a pig named pork chop, a cow named t-bone and so forth and that seemed to work for them....if I ever decide to do meat birds they are deffinatly not going to be getting names...for some reason it makes it feel like a pet rather then food.

Quote:
my uncle was raised to name his edible pets after a food

pig named bacon etc.

kids seem a lot more touchy feely these days --- a lot more touchy and feely than they were when i was a kid --- when i was a kid .... all the other kids were excited when it came time to butcher chickens, goats, pigs etc..... even the gigantic pig my little brother used to ride around on (yes, rode it like a horse)

Quote:
Yeah, I would have to agree with that. Something seems out of balance nowadays. Kids are being burdened with economics and politics, but they can't handle knowing where their food comes from.

We named turkeys the last time we had them T.G. and C.D. Thanks Giving and Christmas Dinner
lol.png

The 6 chicks we picked at the feed store all have names. My 2 youngest each have thier 1 special chick and got to name it. I named my 3 and together we picked out the name for Daddy's chick. My oldest still wants as little as possible to do with poultry.

Our other chickens generally don't have names because either they are definitely not staying or there is a possibility they aren't staying. The meaties are all just called "Meaties" and the naked necks are called "Ugly and Fugly" interchangably. And I haven't decided which of the banties I am keeping.

My grand- daughters have named a few of ours. The reason is that those few look different from most of the others we have. My buff cochin roo's name is Dusty, my golden sebright roo's name is Chico, OEG roo is named Speck and another bantam roo is named Samson. I named Samson because he was so tiny when we got him. He's grown a bit but is still really small. Oops, forgot about Teak, my black giant roo. My nephew named him.

I have too many red stars to even begin thinking of names for them. It depends on how different each of my EE's are from each other as to whether I name any of them. I keep chickens for eggs only. I don't have any plans to eat any of them. Maybe that's the difference.

If it tells you anything, we never named the rabbits we were supposed to eat... and they're now 4 years old, tough as shoe leather, and likely to live a long, long life :p

In other words, if your kids are going to get attached to them, they'll probably get attached names or no.

*still wants to eat the dad-blamed rabbits*

Back
Top Bottom