Should I let them eat all they want?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jennyhaschicks, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    My order of chicks shipped on Wed. They arrived early this morning. My friend picked them up for me. At her house they were eating a ton non stop. I brought them home and they have been putting food to them like they were starving. This was hours ago. I took the food out because they were going nuts. Should I keep the food in there until they are not interested? Can they eat too much?

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They shouldn't eat too much. They probably are starving since they get shipped right after hatching and haven't eaten food yet. They just figured out what that stuff is and that it makes their hunger go away.

3. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    They need water water water more so than feed right now. I'd add the food after they are all settled in and each one has had their beaks dipped in the water font. Make sure all are drinking well...

They like to dust bathe in the feed sometimes...it is fun to watch...but the feed just gets scattered all over...but no harm done...it keeps them busy.

Chickens will eat as much as they need and no more...so no worries if they eat too much. Feed should be free choice...when ever they need it.

Enjoy them... [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  4. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:When I first got them home I dipped all their beaks into the water. They are also drinking a ton of water.
    I will put the food back in there for them. I was shocked watching them eat as much as they did.

5. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    chicks/chickens usually know wen to stop....so id let them have their fill [​IMG]

6. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Quote:As long as they aren't Cornish X Rocks... Those pigs will eat themselves to death.

7. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    xactly... cornish x need to be monitored on the food. The rest will settle in and eventually quit
    good luck

8. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Jenny,
    My bunch finally satisfied themselves....they sure were hungry! The food is still in there but they're all passed out now....so cute! I'd leave the food in for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by