Should I let them out of the run? Poor little Isa Brown

OK I understand that. I kept mine in 3 days then let um out about 2 hours before dark. They all came in and have been ever since. 2 weeks to me is so unnecessary. I think the main thing is we all are just afraid we might be wrong and most of the time we're right. Trust yourself a little bit.

Last edited:
I think that you are right old rooster, I need to exercise my own judgment a little more and trust that I can see the Isa is not a happy chicken at the moment. Thanks

I find if a hen is getting picked on, if the run has space, you put logs/rocks they can 'hide behind' helps. Out of sight out of mind, helps her escape.

Also hanging up treats (think apple or corn cob on a string) so they move and distract.

Free ranging will probably cure it. I only kept mine in for a week and they're fine

Hi! We had one that got picked on in a small run while we were getting the bigger run covered. Not that they are out and about she can easily get away and her feather have grown in, she looks great and I am sure is much happier! I skipped the keeping them in the coop phase and just placed them inside on the roost the first night and then lured them in with scratch the second night. By the third they came in on their own and have ever since. I think you could safely let them out. Good luck!

Yep I have decided they will make the move out this weekend. It is pouring rain at the moment so I wont be heading outside to make sure the move is successful. our fencing around their outside space is too low so I want to watch how they go outside before I make the move.

When I let my now older chicks out for the first time I followed the advice of someone at BYC and only let two of them out and kept the other three still in the run. That way they peeped at each other for awhile and the outside ones wanted to get back into the run. I did it close to dusk so that they were already wanting to go back into the coop. I repeated it for a couple of nights and then I let them all out at the same time. For awhile they would rush out of the run and hang around together. They would circle the run and run back inside. Then they became braver and now they move about the yard in less of a pack. It's been about 3 months and they will still rush to their "comfort" zones and then rush into the run when something scares them.

Back
Top Bottom