Should I lock up my run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AAWalkie, Mar 9, 2017.

1. AAWalkie

AAWalkie New Egg

Apr 20, 2016
    After 9 months of manually opening and closing my chicken coop and run I have purchased an automatic door. I let my girls free range our fenced backyard and am wondering if I need to lock up the run at night. The automatic door should keep them safe in the coop but I am concerned about making it easier for predators to get to the coop and if their unprotected chicken feed is going to attract attention. I am in the center of a small college town so our predators are raccoons, rats, and opossums. Is it okay to leave the run open all night?

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Animals like rats, raccoon's and possums can give your chickens diseases. Especially by touching their food and then the chickens eating it. So i would close it.

3. Birdydeb

Birdydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

I would close it too. My run isn't locked but it is definitely closed. Unprotected feed in the run? You have been luckier than me(of course I am out in the country) because i am going to have to remove feed from my run...the rats have had a field day. :( As soon as I quit procrastinating I am going to set aside a whole day to fix all the damage they have done and remove the feeders...which had tops on them and had a wire over the bottom that SUPPOSEDLY chickens couldn't scratch out of....but they did. :( Feed is gonna attract rats.

Edited to add: I now carry feed down every morning. Feeders are empty. :(

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by