Should I move my beds?

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
7 Years
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
So currently have my raised veggie beds right alongside a side driveway that leads to a currently unused shed. Thinking of relocating them all onto the driveway itself, about 12' over from where they currently sit, to where I marked outlines in pink.

Reasons for possibly moving:
1) There's cedar roots from a tree around the bend that are growing into 2 of the beds, one bed is under control but the other was completely overgrown with roots when I went to start tilling it up this spring. Because the driveway is packed gravel, I think the roots are less likely to invade beds sitting on gravel.
2) Darn moles like to tunnel under the existing bed location. Again, packed gravel means they're less likely to dig under.

Reasons to not move:
So much work! And it blocks about 10' of the driveway, though there'd still be a good 20' or so that would be open to drive through.

If I don't move them, would weed cloth be enough to hold off the tree roots? I'm thinking it would hold temporarily, but don't know how well it'd do over time.

If I do move them, should I still use weed cloth over the gravel? Or hardware cloth (which is currently installed under all the beds)?

gardenbedmove.jpg

If I don't move them, would weed cloth be enough to hold off the tree roots? I'm thinking it would hold temporarily, but don't know how well it'd do over time.

I don't think very highly of weed cloth. It didn't do its job keeping weeds and grass from growing up through it. It broke down quickly, but not in a good, composting way; it mostly just started ripping and shredding.

I think from what you've said, though, once you put it down, you're going to put the garden bed dirt over it? If you move the beds, right? Then it might help. Does the hardware cloth keep the moles out of your beds now?

If you're planning to use the weed cloth between the existing beds... eh, my experience makes me think it might be a waste of time and money. It'll probably help for one season, but fall apart in subsequent years. I think UV light makes it become weak and prone to falling apart.

Even though I bought it at the end of the season, on sale, I recall it being kind of pricey. Or maybe I was expecting the rolls to go farther. I won't be buying it again, let me put it that way.

I hate to say this... can you get rid of the tree? What about moving the beds the other direction, farther from the driveway? Oh... my... moving raised beds... so... much... work.

Sorry for the "stream of consciousness post." :hmm

I think from what you've said, though, once you put it down, you're going to put the garden bed dirt over it? If you move the beds, right? Then it might help. Does the hardware cloth keep the moles out of your beds now?

If you're planning to use the weed cloth between the existing beds... eh, my experience makes me think it might be a waste of time and money. It'll probably help for one season, but fall apart in subsequent years. I think UV light makes it become weak and prone to falling apart.

I hate to say this... can you get rid of the tree? What about moving the beds the other direction, farther from the driveway? Oh... my... moving raised beds... so... much... work.

Sorry for the "stream of consciousness post." :hmm

Stream of consciousness... Haha, no problem. This is more me musing aloud too, because hubby's having problems imagining what I'm trying to do, so I figured I'd ask gardening people what they thought!

Let's see here... so yes right now the hardware cloth is keeping the moles out. They still make molehills outside the beds, but they can't get INTO the beds to do any damage there.

And I currently have weed cloth in my shade garden, under a layer of wood chips, and that has held up very well over 3 years, but part of that might be the reduced exposure to UV. This obviously isn't the same environment (though I'd wood chip over it if I did pathways with it). Or possibly I would weed cloth under the hardware cloth, just to prevent grasses from poking through as easily. Or... dig and churn up the weedy gravel, ugh, the work!

As for the tree, it's like 60' tall or so. And we've lost 4 or 5 trees already this year so I really don't want to lose more.

I'm cheap when I can get away with it. I used old carpet that was dump bound between my beds and covered it with straw and wood chips. Works better than landscape fabric. I didn't have enough of either at the time, so I used wood chips until I ran out and then switched to straw. Looks a little odd, but saved my back from weeding, mowing, etc.

I would use hardware cloth under the beds. If you can find some rubber mats, you could use that too.

As far as stopping tree roots, moving the beds will be your best bet unless you remove the tree, however the rubber mats may stop them from growing into the beds. A sweet score would be some old conveyor belting if it doesnt have holes in it.

I'm cheap when I can get away with it. I used old carpet that was dump bound between my beds and covered it with straw and wood chips. Works better than landscape fabric. I didn't have enough of either at the time, so I used wood chips until I ran out and then switched to straw. Looks a little odd, but saved my back from weeding, mowing, etc.

Hmm we have some old rugs in the garage, those might work like the carpet you mentioned...

Thanks for the feedback on what worked for you!

Cedar trees are pretty tough--you could rent a trencher from HD or Lowes and dig a trench between your beds and the tree. Might only be little less work than moving them, though. I agree with the hardware cloth under the beds if you do move them--moles can be pretty determined. At least the little @($*&%s we had down in South Texas were. 🤬

Cedar trees are pretty tough--you could rent a trencher from HD or Lowes and dig a trench between your beds and the tree. Might only be little less work than moving them, though. I agree with the hardware cloth under the beds if you do move them--moles can be pretty determined. At least the little @($*&%s we had down in South Texas were. 🤬

I did think of trenching/adding a root barrier, but yeah that's a lot of work too, argh!

Sounds like I'll be keeping the hardware cloth. At least it still looks to be in good shape so I can just reuse the pieces that I have out there.

Back
Top Bottom