Should I move my freezing chickens?

Quote:
Awesome idea! Thanks! I will keep that in mind tonight for inside the roost if they seem to have trouble with the temps getting too low. I only have 5 chickens, but the roost is only 4'wide x 4'long x 3' tall in front graduates to 2' in back so adding a jug or two might just be perfect to raise the temp a few degrees if needed.

Here where I live in the eastern foothills of SO CO, it was down to -13 this morning, warmed up to zero, and is back down to -6 at 1 pm. That's with a half-hearted sun.

Last year I used the hot water jug strategy, and it worked well to keep the coop above freezing. Rather than heating the space, the heat sink makes it take longer to freeze in there. But it requires a dozen jugs in a four x twelve coop.

I noticed, though, that as long as they get plenty to eat and lots of water to drink, they manage to stay pretty warm. I picked up one hen huddling on the ground all fluffed up, and felt her feet. Much to my surprise and relief, they were as warm as my hands were inside my insulated work gloves!

I will be hauling the twelve hot water jugs out there tonight, though. It's going to be down to fifteen below, and I need the peace of mind.

Good luck to everyone facing this challenge, especially the original poster! I sure hope your flock all make it through this!

Sorry, but i think you need to buid a solid and secure coop for your hens now, not sure if even in a down coat would I like to spend the night under a trap. I know you are concerned and trying to help them, but a kennel with only a trap is not protection enough from predators or sub below zero temps.

Back
Top Bottom