Should I move out my cockerel into another coop?

ForTheLoveOfSilkies

Free Ranging
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
I have a Rooster, cockerel, 4 pullets and 1 hen all together. Question is, do I keep them together or do I move my cockerel out of this mix and into another coop I have with 2 pullets (that aren't laying yet) and a hen that is infertile (but she willingly accepts advances from a rooster).
There is no fighting that I have seen but rooster does chase cockerel away if he sees him mating.
Also, both my cockerel and rooster have been mating with the ladies in their coop so which male would the offspring come from?- doesn't the 'deposit' stay in the hen for 2 weeks after mating? Or does it get 'overridden' by the next mating?
There is plenty of room for all the chickens in any one coop so space isn't an issue.
Also, I plan to have chicks when one goes broody, likely any day now since they are Silkies, so I keep the freshest 12 eggs on standby.
Cockerel is the buff/blue 'Red Pyle' colour and is son of rooster and white hen.
Here's some pics...
IMG20201004112310_1.jpg
IMG20200923105313~2.jpg IMG20200923104723.jpg
IMG20200915131328.jpg
IMG20200928114231~2.jpg

do I move my cockerel out of this mix and into another coop I have with 2 pullets
Sounds like a good idea to me!

so which male would the offspring come from?- doesn't the 'deposit' stay in the hen for 2 weeks after mating? Or does it get 'overridden' by the next mating?
Can be up to 4 weeks.
No, there will most likely be a mix, who knows which cockerels sperm will fertilize an ovum.

I have for roos and they get along great. (knock on wood) The senior roo doesn't like the others mating too. If it's a specific breeding pair you want seperate them out.

Back
Top Bottom