Should I move them inside?

stephienoodle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 14, 2013
near Charlottesville, VA
I've got 4 Narragansetts that are 15 weeks old. They are roosting on top of the chicken coop like they have for the last few weeks, even though they have access to both the chicken coop and another coop. Tonight is supposed to be our first night significantly below freezing. Forecast suggests around 20°F and windy but dry. Should I go out and move them in a coop or will they be OK?

I had the same problem last year & lost a young beautiful bronze/Spanish cross Tom. Since then I've started clipping wings & trained them to go in the coup at night. There is a heat lamp & plenty of nesting material. They can still get up high & snuggle in a nesting box. Now I just go out @ night, clap my hands a little & tell them it's bed time and in they go just like chickens. Plus it keeps predation risk lower.

I'm not concerned about predation - they are inside of electronet... it seems to be the shelter they object to, as they infrequently get out of the net and want to come back in as soon as they do. I'm wondering if I need to worry because of the weather.

Turkeys are much more cold hearty than chickens. I'd do the one wing clip if you haven't and or lock em in with the chickens at night. I bought a 5 month old jake and a 1 year old hen and was worried that they wouldn't go back to the coop....kept em in a few days they are little saints, usually first ones in.

Turkeys are some really tough birds, that being said the main thing to remember is as the temps and night get colder and you add in the wind chill factor it really is cold out there. Most of the heritage breed turkeys are as hardy as wild turkeys. The real difference is that wild turkeys know how to find a sheltered place to roost in the coldest of nights. Its not really the cold that gets to them its the wind chill.
I keep them in their own coop (turkeys and chickens should no be kept together because of blackhead, it will kill a turkey). During the windy winter months I enclose the coop with clear plastic sheeting to keep out the winds, and it still gives them the light they need.
Another thing to remember is all birds need a good food to help keep warm, I give mine some red wheat whole that has soaked in water to soften the wheat, then place it in the coop about 2 hours before roosting time, the whole grain takes longer to digest and will help fuel the turkeys overnight. Also any uneaten grain will give them something to do in the morning.
Keeping your birds from getting bored is key to healthy birds.
Just like chickens some loose straw on the floor of the coop with give them something to scratch through and help keep their feet dry (dry feet on turkeys is a must if in a coop all winter).
I hope this helps you out some and remember heritage turkeys are much easier to raise than most people think. They do take care of themselves better than chickens.
Sincerely Jim C.

I find mine don't really go inside to get out of the cold until -25C (-13F) or colder.
When it gets that cold or more I try to put them in for the night and lock them up just to prevent them from eating so much food.
Food intake gets huge the colder it gets.
Like already mentioned giving them a good variety of different food is the best thing to do.
One feeder of oats, one of turkey pellets, and daily whole corn kernels through around for them to scratch at.
That's what i do.
In your area you have nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom