Should I only check for eggs once a day, or often?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tweetzone86, Oct 8, 2018.

1. tweetzone86

tweetzone86 Songster

Jul 23, 2018
    Kootenai County, ID
    I'm sorry for posting so much- it's just my first flock and out of my 12 today was the day I got more than one egg, telling me that more are gearing up for laying :)

I told my mom both times I got eggs this morning, who had some Bantams on their farm as a kid, and she said not to check more than once a day because it stresses the chickens? I hadn't expected a third egg today, just found it when I brought them some kitchen scraps. Still warm too :)

So I wanted to ask and see- is it ok to check on them a few times a day, or only once a day? I don't want to make my chickens nervous and impact their laying :(

Rick M and SuperNatural05 like this.
  2. SuperNatural05

SuperNatural05 Chirping

Oct 8, 2018
    Georgia, USA
    As many as you’d like! I average checking about twice a day! Good luck with you flock, they sound lovely!

3. mixedbreeds

mixedbreeds Crowing

You can check in on them as much as you like. I wouldn’t push them off the nest repeatedly but you can look and even hang out with your chickens they are fun to watch.

Rick M likes this.
  4. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Awh....nothing like a hens first egg. Hey...if you are able to check often why not?? Young hens sometimes lay softies or will break them unintentionally. It’s good to pick them up. You don’t want them to get a taste of egg. Then you’d have a whole nother (worse) problem.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Rick M and tweetzone86 like this.
  5. Leslie10481

Leslie10481 Chirping

Oct 4, 2018
    Homestead, Florida
    I check mines twice a day:)

tweetzone86 and Rick M like this.
  6. tweetzone86

tweetzone86 Songster

Jul 23, 2018
    Kootenai County, ID
    Oh, I'm not pushing them off the nest :) I wouldn't dare do that- if I did, I'd deserve the bite! ;)

I'm just talking walking in there and lifting the lid off the totes to check for eggs :) I do sometimes flip a bucket upside down and sit in there too :) A few of them like to roost on me once they realize I'm staying fairly still.

The worst time was when one was on my arm, then jumped on my head, then her foot got caught in my braid and she tried to fly off me! Ouch...my daughter had to disentangle her from me! Then I promptly went inside and took a shower because said foot was covered in chicken poop...the stinker pooped on my head while she was up there!!!

Rick M likes this.
  7. Rick M

Rick M Crowing

Jun 21, 2018
    Southwest Missouri
    I check mine 2-3 times a day normally, my hens dont seem to mind at all even when I catch one in a laying box. I usually check the boxes before I give them all fresh treats. I dont want one running out of nest to get a treat.

8. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I also check twice a day, usually during feeding time. I’ve been known to check more often than that at times, but it really depends on how busy I get with other things. Or if the kids want to go look for eggs in the middle of the day, I go an extra time.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    tweetzone86 and Rick M like this.
  9. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    In the winter, I check more often. When I'm not worried about frozen eggs, I check twice a day.

jreardon1918, tweetzone86 and Rick M like this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I sometimes only gather eggs when I lock up after dark.
    In winter multiple times a day so they don't freeze.
    If there's problem, soft shell layer, I check lots, sometimes once an hour.

With pullets coming into lay I check more often out of excitement and anticipation, even after 5 years. All my older birds are used to me doing this, I take eggs right out from under most of them with little fuss, replacing real with fakies. But I don't do this with the pullets during the first week or two of their laying, don't want to freak them out and create 'nest fear'.... but I still go out and look, peeking thru the back of nest access door that I leave cracked open and walk into coop to gaze at them from the front, talking all kinds of nonsense in my 'calming voice'. I think it's good to get them used to you being in the coop when they are laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: