Should I open my bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by UrbanFarmChix, Apr 7, 2009.

1. UrbanFarmChix

UrbanFarmChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Portland, OR
    This is my first hatch. [​IMG] I'm kind of loopy running on 1 hour of sleep. But I couldn't miss out. Anyway I have 17 that have hatched and another 6 that have pipped. [​IMG] I want to take out the dry oldies and put them in the brooder. My humidity is soooo high with them all in there and they pant sometimes. The humidity is staying in the low to mid 80's and my most recent hatches were very wet. One chick just has its beak out to breath and was bubbling there is so much moisture. [​IMG] Is it better to leave them alone or get the humidity down a bit and remove some rambunctious bodies. First to hatch was at 11:30 PM, April 5th. I need sleep but don't want to miss the last few. *yawn* [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Tomorrow morning you can QUICKLY remove the dry ones and put some wet paper towel back in the bator to keep your humidity up.

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    do not open till all have hatched, may hurt the one pip if you do.

4. UrbanFarmChix

Mar 7, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Ok, I'll sit on my hands some more. Good thing it's so incredible to see a live hatch. [​IMG]

Thanks for answering so quickly. [​IMG]:)

5. UrbanFarmChix

Mar 7, 2009
    Portland, OR
    The ones who are fluffed up are panting. Is that normal?

6. YeOleBroodie

YeOleBroodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    This is just what I would do, not what you have to do.

If the chicks are panting a lot I would quickly take them out.
    Your humidity is high enough and if you are fast enough, you should not lose to much humidity. You can also toss a warm wet paper towel in.

As I said, this is what I would do if they are really panting a lot. You can see them and would know better then anyone sitting in front of a monitor. [​IMG]

Good luck on your hatch.

7. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    yea you should wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by