Should I or Should I not-- GET a Goat???

ro.netcmarie

Songster
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
travelers rest, sc
ok, we are wanting to get maybe 1 or 2 goats just for our little farm. So I was wondering how to raise them, What the like to eat...etc.... I also heard something about worming, and shots. Can anyone give some advice on which way to go?????

Well yes, you should get them....did you really think anyone on here would say different?

Seriously though, you do need to get at least two goats. One goat gets very lonely. My pygmies are very picky eaters so think about what you want goats for when deciding on a breed. If you just want great pets then pygmy goats are great for that. We got ours young (2 months and 3 months) so they are very lovable and friendly. Goats also don't like to get wet so they do need good shelter from the rain and also from cold winters. It gets cold here but we don't lock ours up. They do have a shelter to go in though. Also, my (and other peoples) goats don't like cold water so in the winter we provide warm water to them twice a day.

So, like most farm animals, there is work to go along with having goats.
They are so worth it. I love mine so much and really think that they are my favorite pet. Don't tell the chickens I said that. hehe.

I'm with Thomas423....You must have at least TWO.

I made a big mistake & only got one. It made me miserable with it's crying 24/7 until I tried to shut it up by letting it in the house. It shut up crying as long as it was with me, but as it turns out...goats are not easily housebroken.
sickbyc.gif

I returned the goat to the seller after an exhausting 7 days.

I've learned my lesson. If DH ever lest me try again....I will be getting two so they won't get lonely & cry.

I was going to say yes, you MUST get goats!! Seriously you should get at least 2 though - they are a definite herd animal, and just like to play and have fun together... One goat will get lonely. My guys/girls have always been easy to care for. I honestly don't give them much grain at all - just as a treat, and not daily. They get more hay than they can eat, and are fat and happy
big_smile.png
I worm them on the same schedule as my horses, and have also never had a problem with that either. My oldest goat, Oreo, is now going on 6 years old and just as healthy as ever
love.gif
Here are a few pics for you to enjoy!

Mars, 3 year old fainting goat doe
27475_img_2189.jpg

Oreo, fainting goat whether
27475_5_5_07_118.jpg

Pic of "goat hill"... Sprint (fainting goat/nubian cross doe) is in the under ground tube, Napoleon (fainting goat) is laying up top.
27475_img_0273.jpg

ro.netcmarie :

ok, we are wanting to get maybe 1 or 2 goats just for our little farm. So I was wondering how to raise them, What the like to eat...etc.... I also heard something about worming, and shots. Can anyone give some advice on which way to go?????

I got 2 goats this spring. And I will tell you what I wish I was told. RESEARCH before you buy. I thought I had done my research I read books and internet articles and asked question on this and other forums. Yet when I brought them home I felt over my head(its fine now and I'm so happy I got them but there is a huge learning curve). Also make sure what you need for you goats is easily found in your area. I had to search far and wide to find a decent food for my goats. I didn't check before I bought them but assumed TSC would carry goat food. They do carry sweet feed for goats but that is not the idael feed. Now I am stuck driving an hour to buy food that is better for them yet still not ideal(it has a high corn content though it is better than sweet feed).

Secondly decide what you want from your goats, do you want milk or meat or just pets? If you want pets I suggest a weather. They don't have the hormones and nasty habits that bucks get and don't cycle and bleat loudly like the does do at times.

Lastly research and decide if you mind if your goats have horns. If you do not want a goat with horns buy one that is already disbudded.

If you do decide to get a couple of goats, enjoy them they are a lot of fun!​

Like any animal, goats can be work but they are soooooo worth it. Be prepared to worm them and trim feet if need be. Get goats that have been hand raised and are properly socialized to people.

I agree with needing at least two. I've always had pygamy goats and kept them in a separate pen at night. Mine slept in Dogaloos (we called them the goataloos! Lol!) Every morning when I went out to turn them loose, they were standing on top of their dog houses bleating to be released.

Goats looooove to climb and play. Something to climb on, even just a pile of dirt, makes them very happy.

I agree with everyone, I just got my goats about 2 weeks ago and I had to get a baby girl to keep the older girl I "inhearted,"company she was in with a wether and a buck and they drove her crazy, Now I have them and I LOVE GOATIES!!!!! I want milkers soo I have a mini ? and I just got a nubian-alpine-boer mix to breed with a mini nubian stud later when she's bigger.
I am seeing that it's going to be hard only having a few milkers becuase once I got chickens I was addicted and now it is going to be the same with goats, but you have to remember they are alot to handle at times and I you have to watch them around chicken food.
I think if you get 2 babies that would be a good start, I say this because the 3 I "inherated" are not as freindly as the baby and you want them to be to where you can touch them and stuff in case they ever need anything.
Good luck and hope to see you on our sister site BackYardHerds.com in the goat section.

I guess I will get 2. A friend of ours just has one and everytime we go over there all he/she does is cry, so that maybe why, he/she is lonely. I just want the to be pets and get a little bit of grass cut around the pond. I dont know if they will eat it or not. I am definately getting 2 goats!! Thanks every one!!

Back
Top Bottom