1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I or shouldn't I: Buff Orps

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by michellerene, Apr 27, 2007.

1. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    I'm going to pick out chicks tomorrow & I'm conflicted. Can you help? I want chickens for eggs-- I keep reading about how wonderful and friendly and beautiful the buff orpingtons are & every time I look at the pics, they call to me, but I also keep reading that they are not the best egg producers. If I get 2 Black Austrolorps, 2 Barred Rocks & 2 Buff Orpingtons, will the first two breeds make up for what the BO's don't produce? Or do you think I'll be more happy in the long run with a couple of more productive birds, like RIR's or something? I just need eggs for my family of 4 (one being a toddler). Thanks!

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    RIR are more prolific layers overall in the spring and summer. But the Barred Rocks and Orpingtons tend to be better winter layers.

You should be able to find a RIR/Barred Rock cross Which tend to give the best of both worlds.

Those are my best suggestions.

3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Go ahead and get two of each. The orpingtons lay well enough for family egg use and they are delightful birds.

chel

4. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Orpingtons still lay a lot of eggs, even if not as many as RIRs. For a family sized flock of just a few birds, the difference between them will probably only amount to a few eggs a week. Go with the bird you really want.

5. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    You should, Buffs are real nice birds.
    If you get 2 of each of those, you will have plenty of eggs for a family of 4. in my opinion

6. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I have 2 Buff Orpintons, 2 Astralorps and 2 RIR. I get 5 to 6 eggs a day. The RIR lay jumbo eggs, they are adults, and rather friendly. The buff orpintons are laying med to large eggs they are pullets, and very docile and sweet. The Astralorps are laying med eggs,they are pullets and are also just as sweet as my buff's. They are all very social with us. We sit out back and let them free range. They come up and lay down right next to us regularly. They like to follow me around especially if they think I have food. And will join me when I'm out digging in my garden. If I was to add another 2 to my flock I would get the Buff's or Astralorps. I too have a toddler (4) and she loves to be around them, and they don't mind at all. Hard to decide. Have fun with your new flock!! Their loads of fun!![​IMG]

7. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Just to add--RIR hens are nice birds, too. I wouldn't advise anyone against getting them. It's just that if you want the Orp personality, get the Orps.

[​IMG]

8. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    Thanks, everyone! I'll be posting pics of my new flock after I bring them home this morning! [​IMG]

9. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I would suggest Buffs too. I think they are a wonderful all purpose bird. They are quiet and good natured. They tend to go broody and are very serious about it too. I think they are good layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by