Should I or Shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aidenbaby, Apr 10, 2009.

1. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Our local farm supply stores got in their chicks recently and I found out yesterday. I desperately want to have 3-4 chickens and already have coop plans to accomodate that size of a flock. Hubby is opposed to the idea (completely uneducated about chickens and doesn't want to learn). He mentioned that it against the codes of our town (I'm pretty sure they are not enorced as you can hear a rooster in the mornings) and I fired back with the fact that we also did other things that were "illegal" (I do daycare for 2 families with 3 children total without being licensed by the state plus hubby smokes weed in the garage when he thinks I don't notice). After our non-yelling fight, and after I mentioned that I will no longer bring up the subject again, he said I could go get the chicks. Question is: do I get them because he FINALLY said ok or do I not get them for the previously mentioned reasons? I truly think that once we have them and he gets to know them that he will like them a lot. He LOVES eggs for breakfast and if cooking him breakfast everyday is what it takes to keep him happy, I'll do it.

2. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Well, first [​IMG]

Second.... only you can decide whether to get them or not. If you think it won't be an issue between you and DH, you could get them but only if you plan on doing 100% of their care, etc-- don't expect him to be involved-- it will truly be your "thing" and don't get mad if he doesn't want to be involved-- I think he's been clear on it.

As far as not enforcing code-- just don't add to the noise and don't be obvious. Consider not getting a roo to keep down the noise, keep them fairly well concealed--- out of the view of the road, etc, and be considerate of your neighbors. It's possible to do without getting on the local "radar" but you should be careful about it.

Just because the town has overlooked it in the past doesn't mean they don't have the right to start enforcing code whenever they feel like it.. which they might if they think the "trend" of chicken keeping is going to grow. You could also discreetly look into the current code to be sure, and try to get it changed if you think you'd have some other supporters!

Good luck in whatever decision you make-- and either way-- hang out with us!

3. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    If you truely want them, go get them. But be prepared that your DH may never like them, especially if right off the bat, you are telling him "the chickens need this" and "the chickens need that". If you want them bad enough, just having coop plans isn't enough... YOU have to get out there and build it, don't expect him to do it for you. You have to take care of them, don't ask him to. If he comes around, great... just don't be disappointed if he doesn't!

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I absolutely expect to do all the work. I've been caring for ALL 4 of our cats and our 1 dog 95% of the time for the last 7 years. I kind of expect it. I'm also the only one working in our garden year after year.

As for roo's, I wasn't wanting any anyway. The store I'm buying from gets females only with 94% accuracy. I am fully prepared with rehoming a roo if one turns out to be male after all.

I had to go into the zoning section to find out about the no poultry section. I had read several other threads about many people's fights to keep their birds.

5. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
    Quote:Hey NurseNettie,

Is that a Goffen I see on your Avatar? He/She is beautiful. I've got an Elenora at home. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by