Should I Order More Chicks?

france

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
North East
I ordered 10 chicks for mid May delivery from MPC. I am wondering if I should add a couple more or not. I want to have approx enough eggs for a family of 4. A friend of mine has 8 standard size chickens and they work out well for her family. But I ordered a mix with bantams, including one breed that seems more decorative then egg producing. I am also concerned with chicks dying. I read on here on average up to 1/4 could die. And lastly I have read that it can be very difficult to sex a silkie. Roosters would have to go.

We have coming:
3 Orpingtons (my choice)
3 White Crested Polish Bantams (my son said we had to)
4 Blue Silkies (because you have to have some Silkies)

I was thinking of adding 3 standard size easter egg chicks to the order. I still have time. Or I can see what happens this year and then get more next year. Our coop to be is 12x6 so I have more then enough room. Will the easter eggers get along with the other breeds we already have coming?

Thank you!

I would DEFINITELY add more. What you will have, pretty much, is 3 laying hens and some yard ornaments.
smile.png
Yard ornaments are cool, though!!! The EE's will do fine with your other chickies. Good luck with the new babies!!!
smile.png

Depending how many eggs you eat, I would say add more.

I do baking and make a fair amount with eggs and I'd guess the 3 orps will feed 2 people pretty reliably.

I wouldn't count on the silkies or Polish for much. Bonus if they do, but they are pretty small and spotty layers from what I understand. (The Polish chicks are TOO CUTE though!)

I would plan 6 standard layers of a regular egg-producing type for a family of four if you like to use eggs.

And yes, you will probably lose some to disease, predators, laying problems etc. Even though you purchased pullets, some may be roos.

Asking a question like that on here is only gonna get you one answer.

And you've seen what that is.

HECK YES!!! Get MORE!

Getting them all together at once is good then no age difference and you don't have to worry about integrating younger chicks with older ones.

They are all a bunch of enablers here
gig.gif
As others have said ask a question like that and you will only get one answer - GET MORE CHICKENS, please please and make sure when they arrive you post lots of pics

Oh wait a minute YIPPEEE, I have officially become an enabler.

Oh wait one more minute - HI my name is Sara and I am a chickaholic.

GET MORE....More, More, Mwah-hah-hah.

Quote:
I think you have wonderful self-control Kimiko....

At first I didn't want to order the minimum of 25 chicks from MM... too many chicks!
Then after spending time here at BYC I kept calling and increasing my order. It went from 25 to 37... and at one point was at 117 chicks!
ep.gif
Luckily I came to my senses and trimmed my order ( cut back to 86). Now I am 'ONLY' taking care of 83 chicks (3 weeks old), 6 goslings (2 1/2 weeks old, and 7 ducks (2 1/2 weeks old)!

On a side note... I visited one of the local feed stores today. They had white leghorns.... ohhh almost all of mine lay brown eggs. I was drooling and staring and drooling some more. I was sooo close but was able to walk away. Whew... See, I am not addicted... yea.... I walked away
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom