Should I Paint the inside of my new Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fr27davis, Mar 31, 2011.

1. fr27davis

fr27davis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Just got my new coop and i am thinking of painting the inside of it? is it worth it or just a waist of time? i am either going to use left over deck stain which is either gray to light tan, or i might have some old cheep out door white paint.

2. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Teresa painted the inside of ours after I built it a couple of years ago. I think it makes it easier to clean. We change the pine shaving litter once every couple of weeks, turning it in every day. About every six months I'll haul the pressure washer down and use it to wash down the inside and outside. In the winter the Gals put out a lot of moisture at night when they're locked up so it can get quite groady inside with what I'd guess is mold. I use just enough pressure to not strip off the paint. She used primer and then painted the inside with an exterior semi-gloss paint she got at Lowes. It seems to be holding up pretty well.

3. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I do not have the inside of my coop painted. We used treated lumber on a concrete slab so that we could just hose/pressure wash everything. I have read several post where people have painted the inside of their coop and that it made it easier to clean. I clean mine out about every 2-3 days, (because I also have ducks which are extremely messy) so it is not too hard to clean. If you only have chicks in the coop and don't clean out as often (my Gma only "spring" cleaned her coop to have fertilzer for the garden) then I can see where painting the inside would be beneficial.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Definitely worthwhile. Makes cleaning poo off the wood MUCH MUCH easier (esp. ifyou use semigloss paint), and believe me they will poo on surfaces that leave you really scratchin' your head! -- and also if you live in more-northern areas you will find that having a white or light-painted coop lets you squeeze every last little bit of benefit out of whatever short-day sunlight you get, so that you do not experience quite as much midwinter lull in laying. (Not an issue if you are going to run a light on a timer starting in September... BUT if you ARE, a light-painted interior will allow you to use a smaller wattage bulb for it [​IMG])

So it's not like you HAVE to but IMHO it is so advantageous, and so easy and cheap (use leftover or mistint paints! but do use primer under 'em) that it is kind of a no-brainer to me.

Good luck, ahve fun,

Pat

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I would recommend it. I painted mine and it makes cleaning much easier. Without the paint, the droppings absorb into the wood and will be a hassle down the line.

6. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I painted the inside of mine and it made it much brighter and I am told easier to clean as I do not have me chickens yet, but paint it before you get them.

7. fr27davis

fr27davis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by