Should I panic over a runny slightly bloody poo?

Aunt ruth

TheSpeckledBlonde
Sep 25, 2013
The South

Today I found this poop on my porch. I have three bannies that have fowl pox and they have been getting a 1/4 cc of Tylan for 4 days. Should I be worried about this? They are all acting relatively healthy and this is the first poop I have seen like this.

Today I found this poop on my porch. I have three bannies that have fowl pox and they have been getting a 1/4 cc of Tylan for 4 days. Should I be worried about this? They are all acting relatively healthy and this is the first poop I have seen like this.
I've never heard of Tylan administered for anything but respiratory infections. If it is Fowl Pox you are dealing with, they should be vaccinated for it. There are two types of vaccines. One for Chick-N-Pox and one for Fowl Pox. Are you sure it is Fowl Pox? When the bird's resistance is low, secondary infections can occur. That may be why you see bloody droppings.

I've never heard of Tylan administered for anything but respiratory infections. If it is Fowl Pox you are dealing with, they should be vaccinated for it. There are two types of vaccines. One for Chick-N-Pox and one for Fowl Pox.  Are you sure it is Fowl Pox? When the bird's resistance is low, secondary infections can occur. That may be why you see bloody droppings.

The reason I am giving them Tylan is because one if them had congested breathing and the other had a swollen irritated eye. Those two things have seemed to clear up and but I think I will give them one last dose tomorrow for good measure. (I have been giving it orally and sometimes they yak some of it back out but they are getting most of it). I guess I will just eyeball it and see if I get anymore like this and if I do, then I will panic. I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't a sign that they have gotten too much Tylan or anything.

Be very careful not to aspirate birds when giving liquids orally. That may be why you hear wheezing. Injectables are listed as such for a reason. They are to be given intramuscular or subcutaneous according to label directions.

Be very careful not to aspirate birds when giving liquids orally. That may be why you hear wheezing. Injectables are listed as such for a reason. They are to be given intramuscular or subcutaneous according to label directions.

I was told that I could do either. I think one of them may have aspirated once because she started coughing afterwards but she is fine now. I only started giving them Tylan after the congestion started not before.

Based on the poop pics I just looked at I would guess that one of them is shedding intestinal lining and it's runny because of the Tylan. That's my theory anyway.

I was told that I could do either. I think one of them may have aspirated once because she started coughing afterwards but she is fine now. I only started giving them Tylan after the congestion started not before.
Don't believe everything you see recommended on this forum or anywhere else. There are people who know what they are recommending, and those who may have good intentions, but do not know.
Based on the poop pics I just looked at I would guess that one of them is shedding intestinal lining and it's runny because of the Tylan. That's my theory anyway.
Dropping examples: http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
It could be intestinal lining. Best to keep an eye on them. How old are the birds?

Last edited:
I think since you have treated them with the Tylan 50 for the possible respiratory disease that you described in your other thread, that you should get some Corid and treat them for coccidiosis. Several diseases can cause blood in the stools, but coccidiosis is a common one. Intestinal infections can cause blood in the stools, but I wouldn't think it was the Tylan. The dose is 2 tsp liquid Corid (or 1 tsp powder) in 1 gallon of water. You can mix smaller amounts for your 3 banties.

Don't believe everything you see recommended on this forum or anywhere else. There are people who know what they are recommending, and those who may have good intentions, but do not know.
Dropping examples: http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
It could be intestinal lining. Best to keep an eye on them. How old are the birds?

I'm not sure of the exact age but they have just started laying so I guess between 5-6 months

Back
Top Bottom