Should I panic over a runny slightly bloody poo?

FWIW, I had a mature rooster that started pooping those "normal" intestinal lining poops, so I wormed him and his poop returned to what I think is normal, firm with a white cap. If I see intestinal lining looking poop in chicks it is *always* the beginning of coccidiosis. Don't get wrong, I'm not saying that what you have going on is either, but it's just something to think about and keep an eye on, which it sounds like you're doing.

-Kathy
Yeah I really don't want to start putting them on a bunch of medications until I'm sure there is an immediate threat. They really are much better than they have been since they first got sick.

I use Corid 9.6% as a preventative every 3 weeks starting at between 2-3 weeks of age until they are around 9 months old. The dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days, followed up with a 1/4 tsp of Avian Super Pack and 1/2 tsp Probios per gallon of water 3 days after. By that time they have built up immunity and never see symptoms. I have birds that are 9 years old who are still in excellent health. That is why I recommend preventative methods that have proven to be effective. Still, you don't really know it is Fowl Pox if the bird has not been tested. You might want to sacrifice one bird exhibiting symptoms to a local lab for testing. Pox requires vaccination, as there is no cure for it. Here is a list of NPIP labs based on locale:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/labs_app.pdf

I suggest you call one, explain your problem and ask if they can be tested for Fowl Pox. By the looks of the one dark hen, you could be dealing with Coryza, a secondary symptom of CRD.

Michael, she has been dealing with many different diseases in these rescue hens over the last few months. CRD, fowl pox, among others, and has given Tylan several times already. Do you think she should try Denagard or something like that? Do you think the blood in the stools is cocci or an enteritis from another organism?
Tylan 50 injectable dosage is generally a five day treatment. People often don't realize you can't treat CRD and Coryza with the same medications. Sulfadimethoxine is used for Coryza, and Tylan 50 is for CRD. I've never used Denagard, but Dawg has, so he might have some input on it. It is supposed to be a very effective treatment. The stools could be anything from a sharp object ingested to enteritis. I usually suspect coccidiosis since it is common. Especially in young birds who haven't received preventative regiments of Amprolium to build resistance.

This is what I know about Corid and Amprol dosing:
Here's the math, let me know if I made an error.

• There are 200mg of amprolium in every 1 gram of powder.
  • 1 ounce = 3.5 tablespoons = 28.35 grams
  • 200mg x 28.35 = 5670mg in 3.5 tablespoons of powder.
  • There are 10.5 teaspoons in 3.5 tablespoons
  • There are 21 1/2 teaspoons in 10.5 teaspoons
  • 5670mg divided by 21 1/2 teaspoons = ~270mg per 1/2 teaspoon
  • There are two 1/4 teaspoons per 1/2 teaspoon
  • 270 mg divided by 2 = 135mg per 1/4 teaspoon

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol 20% powder) per 1/4 teaspoon
  • One 1/4 teaspoon = 135 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 270 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoon =405 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 540 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 675 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 810 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 945 mg
  • 2 teaspoons= 1080 mg

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol 9.6% liquid) per 1/4 teaspoon
  • One 1/4 teaspoon = 120 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 240 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoons = 360 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 480 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 600 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 720 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 840
  • 2 teaspoons = 960 mg

There are 4.92892ml/teaspoon, but the numbers above were calculated using 5ml/teaspoon
Here is what's in 1-10ml of the liquid
  • 1ml = 96mg
  • 2ml = 192mg
  • 3ml = 288mg
  • 4ml = 384mg
  • 5ml = 480mg
  • 6ml = 576mg
  • 7ml = 672mg
  • 8ml = 768mg
  • 9ml = 864mg
  • 10ml = 960mg

Bottom line, 1 teaspoon (540mg) of powder is equal to 5.625ml of liquid and 1/2 teaspoon powder (270mg) is equal to 2.8125ml liquid.

And if that doesn't convince people, here is another way I did it:

http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/amp128.pdf:

Dosage Level Mixing Directions
0.024% Dissolve 8 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder in about five gallons of water in a 50-gallon medication barrel. Stir, then add water to the 50 gallon mark. Stir thoroughly.
0.012% Follow same directions as above but use 4 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder.
0.006% Follow same directions as above but use 2 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder.

Facts
  • One pack = 10 oz. (283.5 grams)
  • One ounce = 28.35 grams
  • One ounce of powder = ~3.5 tablespoons
  • 200mg amprolium per 1 gram

My twisted math for the .024% level
If 8 ounces (28.35g x 8 = 226.8 grams) are needed for 50 gallons, then 1/50 of that is needed for 1 gallon, right? So that would be 226.8 grams divided by 50 = 4.536 grams per gallon. (doing this as I type, so correct me if I'm wrong, please!)

So how much does a teaspoon of Corid or Amprol powder weigh? Anyone know? Well, time to break out my gram scale and do some weighing... also have a call into the mfg of Corid and I'm expecting a call back from them.

Got a call back from them and it is 4.536 grams per gallon. He also said that it's a very safe product and the risk of overdosing is very slim.

-Kathy

Disclaimer:
I have not checked for typos and errors.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Tylan 50 injectable dosage is generally a five day treatment. People often don't realize you can't treat CRD and Coryza with the same medications. Sulfadimethoxine is used for Coryza, and Tylan 50 is for CRD. I've never used Denagard, but Dawg has, so he might have some input on it. It is supposed to be a very effective treatment. The stools could be anything from a sharp object ingested to enteritis. I usually suspect coccidiosis since it is common. Especially in young birds who haven't received preventative regiments of Amprolium to build resistance.

I always recommend sulfadimethoxine to people who are dealing with coryza. It is difficult to diagnose coryza unless they complain of a bad odor or the infection looks very severe, (or they have gotten tested.) She has had dry fowl pox for awhile now, but I have not seen pictures of it. When she said there was a yellow plaque around one's mouth, I then suggested wet fowl pox.

Last edited:
Never dealt with Coryza, but the search I did found this:

Treatment

Streptomycin, Dihydrostreptomycin, sulphonamides, tylosin, erythromycin. Flouroquinolones are bactericidal and might prevent carriers.
Source: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza
Not sure how legitimate the above site is.

And one of my books has this:

INFECTIOUS CORYZA
(Coryza)
DEFINITION
An acute or subacute disease of chickens, pheasants, and guinea fowl characterized by conjunctivitis,
oculonasal discharge, swelling of infraorbital sinuses, edema of the face, sneezing, and sometimes by infection
of the lower respiratory tract. Prolonged outbreaks are now believed to be outbreaks complicated by other
diseases, especially

Mycoplasma gallisepticum infection (chronic respiratory disease).
OCCURRENCE
Chickens are primarily affected, although the disease has been reported in pheasants and guinea fowl. All
ages of chickens are susceptible although most natural outbreaks occur in chickens that are half grown or older.
The disease is seen more frequently on chicken farms where facilities are used so intensively that they are never
free of chickens. The disease has a worldwide distribution. Infectious coryza does not occur in turkeys and
should not be confused with turkey coryza caused by

Bordetella avium.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION
Infectious coryza was believed to be a separate disease of chickens as early as 1920 but this was not
confirmed until 10-15 years later. The incidence of coryza has varied markedly. Presently coryza is a disease
of considerable importance, especially on multiage egg production complexes.
ETIOLOGY
1. The etiologic agent,

Avibacterium paragallinarum (formerly Hemophilus paragallinarum and H.
gallinarum

) is a Gram-negative, bipolar-staining, nonmotile rod with a tendency toward filament
formation.

A. paragallinarum requires V-factor (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide), which is available in
certain enriched medium (i.e. chocolate agar). It grows on blood agar (with a

Staphylococcus aureus nurse
colony) as dewdrop-like satellite colonies in a microaerophilic environment. V-factor independent isolates
have been described from South Africa.

A. paragallinarum is not a very resistant organism and will persist outside of the host for only a few days.
It is easily destroyed by many disinfectants and by environmental factors. The organism is susceptible

in
vitro

to many chemicals and antibiotics, including spectinomycin, neomycin, novobiocin, and tetracycline.

A. paragallinarum is present in sinus exudate and is easily demonstrated in stained smears.
4. There are several strain classification schemes. The Page scheme recognizes three antigenic types (A, B, C)
of

A. paragallinarum, although all types share certain antigens. Hemagglutinins produced by the organism
appear to be important antigens capable of inducing protection against infectious coryza. Bacterins are
available that allow limited protection to laying chickens. Bacterins also have a positive influence of the
success of chemotherapy.
EPIDEMIOLOGY
Chronically ill or apparently healthy carrier birds are the major reservoirs of infection and readily transmit
the agent to susceptible chickens. Transmission probably occurs by inhalation of infectious aerosol coughed
into the air or through ingestion of contaminated feed or water. The etiologic agent can be transmitted by
fomites, although it soon perishes outside of the host. Recovered birds are frequently carriers.
INFECTIOUS CORYZA
CLINICAL SIGNS
1. Usually there is a rapid onset and morbidity is high in the flock. Feed consumption, egg production or
growth are reduced noticeably.
2. There is oculonasal discharge, conjunctivitis with some adherence of eyelids, edema of the face [

Fig. 1;
Coryza; AAAP

] (occasionally of the wattles [Fig. 2; Coryza; AAAP]), respiratory noises, and, perhaps,
diarrhea. Later, some of the birds may have swollen infraorbital sinuses and/or exudate in the conjunctival
sac. There is considerable variation in the severity and length of course in flock outbreaks.
3. Respiratory signs usually persist for only a few weeks. Persistence of signs occurs when complicated by
fowl pox,

M. gallisepticum, infectious bronchitis, Pasteurella sp., or infectious laryngotracheitis and
unthrifty birds will become apparent. Persistence of signs was once attributed entirely to strains of

A.
paragallinarum

of low virulence.
GROSS LESIONS
1. There is catarrhal inflammation of nasal passages and sinuses and nasal discharge often is apparent [

Fig. 3;
Coryza; AAAP

]. One or both infraorbital sinuses may be distended with exudate (similar distension can
occur with localized fowl cholera, pox, vitamin A deficiency, and staphylococcal infection).
2. There is conjunctivitis, frequently with adherence of the eyelids or with accumulation of cheesy exudate in
the conjunctival sac.
3. There often is edema of the face and, occasionally, of the wattles. In complicated cases there may be
tracheitis, pneumonia, or airsacculitis.
DIAGNOSIS
1. Typical history, signs, and lesions are suggestive of coryza, although other respiratory diseases of chickens
must be differentiated.
2. A smear of sinus exudate should be made and Gram stained. It should reveal Gram-negative, bipolarstaining
rods with a tendency toward filament formation and pleomorphism.
3. Aseptically collect sinus exudate and swab it on blood agar. On the same plate then make an S-shaped
streak of

S. aureus (use a strain that excretes V-factor), which will serve as a feeder colony. Incubate the
culture in a candle jar. Tiny dewdrop satellite colonies [

Fig.4; Coryza; AAAP] of A. paragallinarum will
grow adjacent to the feeder colony. The organism can be further identified by biochemical means or by a
PCR test specific for

A. paragallinarum.
4. A nonpathogenic species,

Avibacterium avium, (Hemophilus avium) may be cultured from the sinus, either
alone or with

A. paragallinarum. A. paragallinarum is catalase negative and the nonpathogenic species is
catalase positive.
5. Put a small amount of sinus exudate in the infraorbital sinus of a few young susceptible chickens. Typical
signs and lesions develop in 3-5 days (rarely less).
6. Hemagglutination inhibition and immunodiffusion tests can be used to detect

H. paragallinarum antibodies
in serum. Both tests are serotype specific.
CONTROL
1. Depopulate, if necessary, to eliminate all carrier birds. Leave the premises vacant for a few days after
thorough cleaning and disinfection. Then restock with 1-day-old or other coryza-free chickens. Raise
them, insofar as is possible, in quarantine.
INFECTIOUS CORYZA
2. Commercial bacterins can be used to immunize chickens and protect only for the serotype included in the
vaccine. All pullets to be housed on multiage infected farms should receive two injections of the bacterin
at 3-week intervals prior to being placed on the farm. The first vaccination should be given after the birds
reach 14 weeks of age.
4. Controlled exposure of pullets prior to the onset of lay is sometimes used but has not been widely accepted
by the poultry industry. Vaccination with bacterin 2 weeks prior to controlled exposure is sometimes used
to improve immunity, reduce the severity of infection, and provide cross-protection against other serotypes.
TREATMENT
Various sulfonamides and antibiotics have been used, usually in feed or drinking water. Birds usually
respond to treatment but relapses may occur when treatment is discontinued. Erythromycin and oxytetracycline
are commonly used in layer operations.

-Kathy

Last edited:
This is what I know about Corid and Amprol dosing:
Here's the math, let me know if I made an error.

• There are 200mg of amprolium in every 1 gram of powder.
  • 1 ounce = 3.5 tablespoons = 28.35 grams
  • 200mg x 28.35 = 5670mg in 3.5 tablespoons of powder.
  • There are 10.5 teaspoons in 3.5 tablespoons
  • There are 21 1/2 teaspoons in 10.5 teaspoons
  • 5670mg divided by 21 1/2 teaspoons = ~270mg per 1/2 teaspoon
  • There are two 1/4 teaspoons per 1/2 teaspoon
  • 270 mg divided by 2 = 135mg per 1/4 teaspoon

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol 20% powder) per 1/4 teaspoon
  • One 1/4 teaspoon = 135 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 270 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoon =405 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 540 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 675 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 810 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 945 mg
  • 2 teaspoons= 1080 mg

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol 9.6% liquid) per 1/4 teaspoon
  • One 1/4 teaspoon = 120 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 240 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoons = 360 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 480 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 600 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 720 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 840
  • 2 teaspoons = 960 mg

There are 4.92892ml/teaspoon, but the numbers above were calculated using 5ml/teaspoon
Here is what's in 1-10ml of the liquid
  • 1ml = 96mg
  • 2ml = 192mg
  • 3ml = 288mg
  • 4ml = 384mg
  • 5ml = 480mg
  • 6ml = 576mg
  • 7ml = 672mg
  • 8ml = 768mg
  • 9ml = 864mg
  • 10ml = 960mg

Bottom line, 1 teaspoon (540mg) of powder is equal to 5.625ml of liquid and 1/2 teaspoon powder (270mg) is equal to 2.8125ml liquid.

And if that doesn't convince people, here is another way I did it:

http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/amp128.pdf:

Dosage Level Mixing Directions
0.024% Dissolve 8 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder in about five gallons of water in a 50-gallon medication barrel. Stir, then add water to the 50 gallon mark. Stir thoroughly.
0.012% Follow same directions as above but use 4 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder.
0.006% Follow same directions as above but use 2 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder.

Facts
  • One pack = 10 oz. (283.5 grams)
  • One ounce = 28.35 grams
  • One ounce of powder = ~3.5 tablespoons
  • 200mg amprolium per 1 gram

My twisted math for the .024% level
If 8 ounces (28.35g x 8 = 226.8 grams) are needed for 50 gallons, then 1/50 of that is needed for 1 gallon, right? So that would be 226.8 grams divided by 50 = 4.536 grams per gallon. (doing this as I type, so correct me if I'm wrong, please!)

So how much does a teaspoon of Corid or Amprol powder weigh? Anyone know? Well, time to break out my gram scale and do some weighing... also have a call into the mfg of Corid and I'm expecting a call back from them.

Got a call back from them and it is 4.536 grams per gallon. He also said that it's a very safe product and the risk of overdosing is very slim.

-Kathy

Disclaimer:
I have not checked for typos and errors.
big_smile.png
Looks good, but I don't see the point of splitting hairs over it. The dosages for prevention and treatment, whether it is 20% powder or 9.6% have been established and effective for many years. For those strains of protozoa resistant to Amprolium, Sulfa drugs are used. Sulfadimethoxine being the easiest on the bird's system.
Here's some info for anyone who may need to know more about Coccidiosis:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1138/coccidiosis-control

I just went out and checked on them. All poop that I saw looked normal. If it was serious would i continually see bloody poop?

Looks good, but I don't see the point of splitting hairs over it. The dosages for prevention and treatment, whether it is 20% powder or 9.6% have been established and effective for many years. For those strains of protozoa resistant to Amprolium, Sulfa drugs are used. Sulfadimethoxine being the easiest on the bird's system.
Here's some info for anyone who may need to know more about Coccidiosis:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1138/coccidiosis-control
My issue is that for *years* people have been told to use 1/2 teaspoon of the powder and 2 of the liquid... Not sure why no one did the math on the powder. And I'll admit that I am guilty of telling people that the dose was 1/2 tsp powder, but I was wrong in doing so and I actually feel pretty bad about it.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom