Should I play with my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JBarringerNC, Dec 12, 2012.

1. JBarringerNC

JBarringerNC Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got 4 chicks that I recently hatched from my 1st Homemade Incubator. They're 8 days old, growing so fast and I've got them together in the brooder.

I would like to be able to pick up and hold my chickens without having to run them down in the future.
    My question is, should I play with my chicks daily... or should I wait to handle them until their a little older??

Whats the best way to make these chicks very tame?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    If you are hoping to have them somewhat "Tame" I would handle them now as much as possible.

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    That is how you tame them!

4. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Just don't play with them so much they get chilled. And once you succumb to their charm and start feeding them treats, make sure they have access to chick grit.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Sadly I am well versed in this. First, avoid picking up chicks as in grabbing them, allow them to walk over and perch on you. Do no separate group as that causes stress. Secondly, I use mealworms as an enticement. Encourage chicks to take mealworms from your fingers. Initial stages I do by sitting down next to brooder and tossing in one mealworm at a time. Then make them come to hand. Patience and move slowly!!!!!.

I have done this multiple times to train birds to do all sorts of thing. Some were trained when called by name and would fly good distances to reach me. Some birds are now taken to train kids and birds need to be calm for this to work.

See following thread and youtube links for examples of what they can be trained to do.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/388547/training-chickens-for-voluntary-flight

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407880/ambassadors-for-the-farm

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by