should i pull out clump of loose feathers after dog attack

cybersecretary

Hatching
12 Years
Sep 12, 2007
thanks to you all. i have been lurking the past week as i recently adopted 2 chickens .

one red star and one buff

about 8 months old. we have nice eggs and the chickens are just beautiful and fat and clean and healthy.

2 days ago they were free Jonakey roamed too far and was chased by a dog.

( i now keep them in and just let them out in the late afternoon because i know they will come home to roost. they have also been staying close to the house)

she came home with a few missing feathers on her back, no blood. (her buddy Dolorus was so happy to see her friend! she put her wing over Jonakey on the roost! and they cuddled)

I noticed the next day that there is a fist size clump of feathers hanging funny off her right rear side... what a shame. so when she walks i see the clump of feathers wobble.

will they fall off and re grow?
should i try to remove them?

should i have put ointment on her back?

thank you all.

i want to keep them but winter is hard here and they have a summer coop that is makeshift.

and my landlord is not happy.. his house is 4 acres away and there is a lot of land so i don't know what his problem..
i will keep them till december i guess and then try to find them a new home

hard to take thm for processing.. i wouldn't be able to eat them.

thanks
diane

Is it just feathers or skin hanging? Will she let you pick her up, and examine her? If its just loose feathers...I would say...leave it be. However, if it is a wound....that will need to be cleaned out, and covered with something like bluekote, to keep the flies from laying eggs in there. Where are you located??Im sure someone on here would gladly take them.

thanks,
she will let me hold her, they are pets.

because i am a fraidy cat...
i have not yet looked that close at the clump./possible wound.
she is active and running and eating and such,
tomorrow i will pick her up and look closely at it..
i am a bit squirmish around wounds !

so if the skin has pulled away and is stuck to the feathers what do i do? just put the bluekote on it?

if the skin is fine?

now i am really worried..didn't think the skin could rip too.

The feathers looked clean and no sign of blood.

it is dark out now and no good light to see.. will get up early and check on them.

i really like them and want to be able to keep them safe and healthy.

i would love one of those fancy coops and runs i see here!

i live in Vermont and know of a few people with chickens in the area.

Guess i should stop by and meet them and talk chicks.
what a friendly bunch. farmers.

beg my landlord and build them a nice home.

i had my son hold her and i tried to look but she really did not like it and we let her go.

if her flesh is exposed she has a chance to get fly larve is that so?

2 chickens, young. not so many flies here. cool weather.. she will be ok i think,,,,
still the clump.
shee is cooped up,
i am working to much

maybe tomorrow night we can look better.

??????

You absolutely need to look at that wound and see what is going on. It is part of owning animals.
Maggots can get in there if there is an open wound or infection can set in and that will be way worse to look at, not to mention painful and debilitating to your hen.
If you can't bear to look at your poor hen's wounds, you might want to find an avian vet.

Back
Top Bottom