Should I put a brooder lamp in the coop?

Thanks. My concern was for when they venture out from under momma. So far, they have been staying pretty close to her.

After about 3 or 4 days they'll venture out quite often and love it.
They'll run back under her to warm but be most of the day in the cold and be better for it.
That's how its been done for millenia.

I have been thinking of this same question! I plan on breeding my future chix in the coop's brooder box, but for this first set of motherless chix, would it be too cold (I' m in NH) to have them out there if I put a Sweeter Heater in the box with them in April? Our coop is well insulated but without a light or heat as I don't want any fire hazards and we lose power often anyway so I want them getting used to cooler temps. OTs, please ring in with your experiences:)

Bottom line is to duplicate nature. A hen warms a small space not all the ambient air.
Provide a spot that's 90+ and lots of space to escape the heat. If you do that throught the brood period, healthy birds will be happy.

Last edited:
That depends on ambient temps. In summer it may mean 3 weeks and maybe only at night.
In winter it's probably 7 weeks.
More protein in the feed and cool space lets them feather out quicker and better.

If they need a hen at their age then they need a 90 degree spot. More chicks can warm each other.

Well, the babies will be 2 weeks old Saturday. I had a brood lamp in the nursery for a couple days then took it out. We've had some very cold temps but momma is doing an excellent job of being a momma and keeping the babies warm. It's fun to see them poking out of various feathers around their momma. Some under, some above. Momma has started taking them out of the nursery and into the coop (actually they are already in the coop but just in a separate "gated" area to separate them from the rest of the chickens/roos) for daily excursions. She brings them back into the nursery area when the rest start coming back into the coop in the evening. Then I gate them off again. Thanks for all the input. I have 5 happy babies.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom