Should I put a fence/roof on the top of my run?

Crimson Clover

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 3, 2014
Delaware
My run is currently under construction. It will be 20x10ft should I just house it all in wire? maybe a plastic roof? Leave it open at 7ft tall? Not sure. Advice please!

Half roof and half wire/netting might be nice for shade and protection from the rain, if your in the construction process now is the time to do it.

When we built our run a handful of years back, we opted to enclose the whole thing in welded wire fencing. First, closing off the top gave us peace of mind, as there are lots of hawks and raccoons in our area. Second, by using something that is not a solid sheet for the roof, we do not have problems with leaves and other debris accumulating on the roof. Our coop is elevated, so the chickens can go under it for shelter if needed.

I agree with the rest. Still put something over whether its wire or a roof. This is to protect your chickens from predators. Some are flyers and others are climbers. Just be on the safe side please.

We're trying to fly 'under the radar' here, as outlaw chicken keepers, so a roof on the run was a little too much. We opted for an open run, but put in a couple of Little Tykes houses, with perches inside. In the winter, we put a tarp on the bottom and about 8" of straw in them. They (there's only 3) love their little "Cluckers Clubhouses". In the summer, I take out the tarp and straw and put in mulch. Also, I covered the windows with pieces of clear plastic shower curtain so they are windproof.

Just curious as to why you would wish to build the run seven feet tall? Your chickens aren't going to use the top part of that space at all.

I built my runs just tall enough for me to walk comfortably in them. Maybe someone in your family is 6 foot 5 inches?

Lucky you, I wish I could redo my run!

I'd at least put a real roof over half of it. My coop is just covered in deer netting to keep other birds from flying in. 7ft is great, very roomy especially if putting a roof on. I'd recommend some supports across the top so that you could hang things if necessary, bug catchers, chicken swing, water/food/treat containers, etc :)

Thanks all of you! We have decided to wire the whole thing, even the top and then pug a half roof on it. Great advice!

Good idea.
I ran into a slightly different issue with mine, and needing to cover the roof. And Summerford's comment about flyers and climbers had me confused for a moment because of it.

I have lots of different chicken breeds. One is Sumatra, which is "very flighty". They can fly somewhat well, and love roosting in the tops of 30-foot pine trees. There was no keeping them in without a roof. Another is easter egger, and I have one with a very odd trait. She actually likes to (and WILL) climb up the side of fencing, chicken wire, gates, etc. She will use her wings to fly JUST enough to keep her body above her feet, and just move her feet one-by-one up the side. Unless it's slick like glass or plastic, she'll find a way over it! It doesn't matter HOW tall!

... Unless you put a roof up. I've yet to see her try to "walk" upside down across wire. But it sure would be funny if she did!

Back
Top Bottom