Should I put a heat lamp in my coop??

It's been raining for three days here, a cold drizzle at the least, and this morning my hens were in the front yard scratching...for worms I suppose...soaking wet, but running around as usual, paying absolutely no attention to the cold wet stuff falling from the sky. According to TWC it was 43 degrees, but it felt more like 33!

Quote:
Don't even need heat then. As long as the coop is draft free they will be fine. Ours made it through a couple of weeks last year where it got down below 0* and the high never went above 25*. A little frostbite on one comb and that was it.

Anchorage Alaska. -15 last month. No heat. They were fine as long as I kept fresh water and plenty of food in there. I use pine shavings and just made sure it was about 6 inches deep.

I think a little light woulld probably keep you on the safe side wth the frizzles and 6 month olds....

I have one rooster and one hen in my coop. The hen just hatched 9 baby chicks. The weather is going to take a turn and suddenly get considerably colder. Should I add a heat lamp to the coupe to aid the new chicks? The coop is about 10x10 and it has one large screened window for ventilation and airflow. the coop is not airtight. I am afraid the new babies may not be able to handle the temperature change. Does anyone have any advice. I have never had a hen that hatched her own eggs before. I do not want to remove her babies from her. She has been broody for so long and she and the rooster seem to be doing very well with the babies.

Yes, the chick's made it and she has had another batch since. She currently has 10 more baby chick's. ..

Back
Top Bottom