Should I put a small fence around my koi pond for my chickens?

dirtbath

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
North Carolina
Will my chickens fall into my koi pond? I'm not sure what their sense of direction is and we have a 200 gallon koi pond that they haven't discovered yet. Should I put a little fence around it to prevent them from falling in?

My chickens have always pecked around my little pond with no accidents. I would probably keep scatter-brained chicks away from it though, since they're so spastic and don't have the control of mature birds....

Chickens can swim, just make sure they have several ways out. I assume at 200 gallons its pre formed and the side are straight up and down. I have 2 5k gallon ponds, they will pick around an d drink from them but i havent had any fall in that i know of. Mine are liner ponds and and slopping sides in several places.

I have had them fall into my ponds. I have two, one has steep sides and the other is a molded liner pond that also has rather steep sides. I have covered the smaller of the two with that large wire that they use to reinforce concrete. The other they can get out of since it's shallower. But water lilies have saved the day for them. These things float on the top in big clumps and have given them enough footing to get out of the liner one before I put the wire over it. There is no protection in place for chicks. But I've yet to lose one to the pond. It's only the bigger ones that fall in, and they really get knocked in by a clumsy friend rather than fall in on their own.

Keep it full enough that they don't risk falling in by getting a drink.

Last edited:
We always thought it wan't a worry since several had gone in the drink and gotten themselves out right away until one of our bantam roosters when missing. We found him in the pond far to late.

Oh geez, it seems like everyone is divided on what to do. I guess since my pond is so small, the fencing will be affordable. Better safe than sorry, thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom