Should I Put it Out of it's Misery?

eeckenrode

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 19, 2011
I had a broody hen hatch 2 chicks with one still pipping. I was going to separate them from the rest of the flock once the last one hatched but before I could one of the chicks got attacked by the flock. She hatched this morning and when I found her this afternoon she was in the middle of the run with bloody eyes. I can't tell if she even still has eyes...:-( I separated mama and the 2 chicks and egg from the rest of the flock, put the injured chick under her mama. Would it be more humane to put her out of her misery or should I wait and see if she can recover?

It depends on how bad it is injured... If it's eyes are pecked out then I would put it down. Really, if its injured at all it won't stand a chance under a broody.

I personally think it would be much more humane to put it down, but on this forum you will find that opinions run the gamut...

If the chick is blind in both eyes, chances of survival are very low. However my wife had nursed one chicken attached by a racoon who was quite bloody and lost one eye back to perfect health. She has nursed a Guinea back to health that was attacked by the dog and lost use of one leg completely. It hops around just fine and has for over a year. She has also nursed three small guineas and three small pullets that were attacked by a poor mama, and were badly injured, some loosing toes other badly wounded. She spent many days applying ointments and they are all heathly and happy now. We have had many chicks that were in poor condition when they arrived from the hatchery that should have died but Susan kept them alive and they lived long and happy lifes. Not all of them have survived. It is a matter of choice for you weather you decide to give the chick a try or not. It may or may not make it. But it sure won't hurt to give it a try. If it is too badly injured it will sucumb to it's injuries in a few days if not sooner.

Good luck and keep us informed. If it survives you can think of a clever name for it.

Not to long ago a broody attacked its chick and it was bleeding from its eyes and had a gash behind the ear and was bleeding a good bit, so we brought the chick in and put it in the brooder.
I thought it was going to die within a hour or so. But the chick lived and can see just fine an acts normal but the one eye is offset but other than that she is fine.

So if the chick is blind I would put it down, so just keep an eye on it and see how it turns out.

Good luck!

We cleaned it up last night and it actually has both eyes but the beak is deformed. I'm thinking this was maybe from birth and not from an attack... Here are some pics.

Maybe mom attacked it because she sensed there was something wrong with the chick. This happens in the animal kingdom - it is nature's way of weeding out the less fit offspring. I would probably put it down, but you will have to figure out what you feel comfortable with.

Maybe mom attacked it because she sensed there was something wrong with the chick. This happens in the animal kingdom - it is nature's way of weeding out the less fit offspring. I would probably put it down, but you will have to figure out what you feel comfortable with.
Yes that happens a lot and might be the case but the chicken that hatched out the one chick crushed the other baby and almost killed another....she was a crazy chicken.

Back
Top Bottom