Should I put my young rooster in "horny jail"

Just like any teenager, he has a lot to learn. He is driven by his new found hobby. And has yet to learn how to be a true rooster. I disagree greatly with the previous posters claim that the ONLY reason to have a rooster is to fertilize eggs. Roosters do a lot for a flock. More than simply fertilize eggs. Yes, the 1:10 ratio is mostly based on breeding. But, there are other reasons why this is a sweet spot for a flock. Because, a rooster does more than just breed! He also keeps harmony in the flock, seeks out food, especially for free ranging flocks, and, stands guard. Keeping watch for predators. I have had chickens my whole life. My entire family on my dad's side, all have chickens.

I have had a lot of experience with them. You can get a "bad" rooster. The fact that he has already injured one, gives me pause for concern. But, if he seems gentle to you, maybe he simply has some sharp claws. I would separate him for a month or so. Give him time to mature. But if he and your oldest, established, rooster are getting along, I would not remove him entirely. If you do, upon reintroduction, you will have a fight on your hands. The two roosters, is my main concern for you. I have had two roos many times. But they were always raised together. I have never had success in introducing a younger roo to an established older roo. It has always come to terrible fighting. If you are going to keep two roos, then you need to have plenty of hens for both of them. It becomes an issue of keeping both roos occupied. Give them so many hens to care for, that they have nothing to fight over. I have not had that situation before. When I have tried to introduce a younger roo, I always had like 10-12 hens. I never was successful in adding a second roo. When raised together, they got along. But never introducing one. Roosters fight over hens and food. So, if you have so many hens, that your established roo feels he can't care for them all, he will be more likely to allow for a second in command. It is fascinating to watch two roos work together, caring for a flock. My favorite flocks were the ones with two roos. So please disregard the comments that believe roosters are only good for one thing. That is simply false. And please know, that if you are going to keep two roos, you definitely need more hens to occupy two roos. And not because of the breeding aspect. But because of all the rooster duties! You can have one roo and twenty hens, and still end up with a hen that is over bred. Because they tend to have their favorite hen. And she will get more attention than the rest. No, you need more hens so that your established roo feels like he needs help caring for the flock. So he will accept a second roo. And, for me, this is most important. If the younger roo does not learn to dance for his hens, then I would cull him. Just like broodiness has been nearly bred out of chickens, there seems to be more and more roos who no longer do the mating dance. If he doesn't begin dancing for his ladies, and respecting their response, then I would do away with him. It will cause your hens so much stress. Never knowing when he will just grab them. But, if he seems gentle to you, I suspect, in time, with maturity, he will learn. Good lucj.

This is a very insightful response with info I've seen rarely. I have disregarded comments on others posts before about roos only being good for breeding because I brought my eldest roo into the flock for the reason of breaking up hen fights and being there to protect them from predators if my guardian dog is not there in time (even if this means throwing himself into the predators mouth to keep it fed).
The younger room has been in a separate coupe for a while now and he's been doing mating dances through the fencing and at me. I've been allowing him to run around my goats pen to stretch his wings and legs out more than he can in the producers pride coop.
I'm hoping he gets better and I do plan on getting more hens in the spring, ones that are already adults since I don't need a fourth unexpected roo.
After this winter and after I introduce the new hens I'm going to set him out in the flock again and see how he does. He still sees all the other chickens and my oldest roo daily as they like to hang out by his coop, so I'm hoping his reintroduction goes smoothly.
Thank you

I'm hoping he gets better
I don't think he is the only problem. The younger one is obviously just trying to sneak one in while the big guy is otherwise occupied and I would imagine the hens are actively rejecting his advances in favor of the older rooster. That situation is unlikely to change even when the younger one matures, it may even get much worse. You don't really have enough hens for two roosters and with just a 6'x 6' coop not really enough room to get that many more.

He's at his worst right now. He's hormonal, he's ready to go, and he needs to take a cold shower (and a break from the hens) before he hurts them worse.
I would separate him. That first spring can be really awful too and I have found they chill out a LOT when they are a little older.
It sounds like you like him and want to keep him, so I'd separate him for a while, maybe even till late spring, unless you get a bunch more hens to keep him busy. He'll have a hard time acting like a jerk if he's got a whole bunch of hens to keep in line.
I personally disagree with other posters about roosters and feel they bring a lot to the flock and are funny characters to have in the yard as companions too. So I am apt to try things before I get rid of anybody.

I don't think he is the only problem. The younger one is obviously just trying to sneak one in while the big guy is otherwise occupied and I would imagine the hens are actively rejecting his advances in favor of the older rooster. That situation is unlikely to change even when the younger one matures, it may even get much worse. You don't really have enough hens for two roosters and with just a 6'x 6' coop not really enough room to get that many more.
They only get locked up at night time and free range all day, as stated before. They free range on my land(and occasionally the neighbors land). Would the coop still be too small for more hens if they're only in there at night?

He's at his worst right now. He's hormonal, he's ready to go, and he needs to take a cold shower (and a break from the hens) before he hurts them worse.
I would separate him. That first spring can be really awful too and I have found they chill out a LOT when they are a little older.
It sounds like you like him and want to keep him, so I'd separate him for a while, maybe even till late spring, unless you get a bunch more hens to keep him busy. He'll have a hard time acting like a jerk if he's got a whole bunch of hens to keep in line.
I personally disagree with other posters about roosters and feel they bring a lot to the flock and are funny characters to have in the yard as companions too. So I am apt to try things before I get rid of anybody.
He's separated right now and I do want to keep him, but if it doesn't work out next year then it doesn't work out and I'll figure out what to do with him.
I don't know how many more hens I'm going to get next year, but hopefully it'll be enough with my roos.

IMO - yes, the coop would be too small, but of course, I am judging that from my point of view and climate along with my experience. Over crowding causes a lot of really ugly behaviors. Especially in the winter, when mine roost up around 4:00 pm and don't come down and out until after 7:00 am. A long night.

If you live much father south, with no winter, you could sneak in a few more, but not anywhere close to the number of 20 head.

Mrs K

This is a very insightful response with info I've seen rarely. I have disregarded comments on others posts before about roos only being good for breeding because I brought my eldest roo into the flock for the reason of breaking up hen fights and being there to protect them from predators if my guardian dog is not there in time (even if this means throwing himself into the predators mouth to keep it fed).
The younger room has been in a separate coupe for a while now and he's been doing mating dances through the fencing and at me. I've been allowing him to run around my goats pen to stretch his wings and legs out more than he can in the producers pride coop.
I'm hoping he gets better and I do plan on getting more hens in the spring, ones that are already adults since I don't need a fourth unexpected roo.
After this winter and after I introduce the new hens I'm going to set him out in the flock again and see how he does. He still sees all the other chickens and my oldest roo daily as they like to hang out by his coop, so I'm hoping his reintroduction goes smoothly.
Thank you
That is wonderful! I am so happy to hear him doing the dance. I find it hilarious when they dance for us humans. Lol my one roo, Jackson, a beilefelder mix, dances for me daily. I praise him, but not ever gonna squat.lmbo but he keeps dancing for me. Well, if I am honest, he is mostly dancing for his treats.lol but I claim it's cause he loves me.lol
On a different note, I do thi k you need my coop room to add more hens. But sounds like you have the space. And you have plenty of time to build on. Remember, they really don't need a full building. I sometimes forget that. I always want a huge shed so I can walk inside.lol they just need something to get out of the weather and a safe place to sleep. But I would an on a bigger coop. 36 Sq ft is tight. By the time you add nest boxes, and they are all lined up on a roost, it can be a little cramped. They don't mind huddling together when it's cold. But when it's warm, they need space. With body Temps of 105f, it can get stuffy sitting next to each other.
Sounds to me like you have him all figured out. Things will be great, for both your gentlemen!

Thank you
I just can't help myself, I have to share this story with you.

Couple years ago, I had ten hens a two roos. They had all grown up together and were just a few weeks apart in age. King, was my dominant roo. Jackson, was his second in command. One day, a hawk literally came out of nowhere! I was even outside, and about 50 feet from the flock, when it came dive bombing. I heard King sound the alarm, turned around to see Jackson taking all the girls to the coop. Once inside, he showed back up at the door. He made some sort of sound I have never heard before, or since. And I have been around chickens my whole life! As this is happening, I saw the hawk come in. King, had run the opposite direction, heading around the back of our garage. From my view point, I could not see him, but Jackson could. I could hear a terrible commotion behind the garage, and went sprinting for the area. Jackson, after making that sound, took off in the direction of King. When I finally got in eyeshot, I saw both roos attacking this hawk! It was actually trying to fly away, but they had ahold of him. When I got close, they both let go, and it got to its feet, and flew away. Poor King had a huge gash in his side, feathers missing and broken. Some bleeding. but was atherwise okay. Jackson had a chunk of his comb tore, feathers ruffled, but was fine. Bled like nobodies business though! I have no doubt in my mind,that at least one of them would be gone! And most likely, King would have been dead, if not for his second in command. Roosters, good roosters, are amazing! And bring so much to a flock. Which I know, I am preaching to the choir here.lol but I simply LOVE having one in my flock. Only made better, by having two! They were good buddies, King and Jackson. I don't know what happened to King. He literally disappeared a few months back, while the flock was free ranging. Jackson didn't have a mark on him that day. I know, whatever happened to him, happened fast! Cause Jackson would have come to his aid. I still have Jackson. He is "king" at the moment. He doesn't have a second in command. But does a fantastic job as lead. Good luck with your duo! Roosters are soon beneficial! I can't believe people think their only job is to make babies!
Jackson's "free ranging" with his alpha hen reba.lol

Attachments

• 20221010_165840.jpg
    20221010_165840.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I don’t see anything wrong ethically with a horny jail. If it’s his first season, he’s going to be “extra”. Just like a teen boy. Self-control and good judgment come later for Roos, my boy is just now calming down and being a gentleman at 1.5 yrs old. He got lots of time outs and hens got lots of “roo-free time” to eat, drink, rest and preen. I will say however, he never injured any hens like you are describing, only chased them. He’s also the only roo, so there isn’t an overlay of competition to his behavior. If you really love him and want to keep him, you could look into taking him to an Avian vet to be caponized. Not cheap, but it’s an option.

Back
Top Bottom