Should I quarantine a pullet from the same original flock?

spotsychick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Virginia
About a month ago, I got 6 chicks from the county fair. 2 EE's, 2 BA's, and 2 BO's. One of my BA's was definitely a rooster (helloooo, crow). Thankfully my chicken guy was needing a new BA roo and I needed another hen since I'm still 95% sure my black and white EE is a roo as well (he's a keeper either way). They're all from the same flock, and have only been apart for around 4 weeks. Should I still keep the new one (a white rock hen) in quarantine?

I guess I need to clarify. These are the only birds I have. (First time chicken keeper) Given the new pullet (that replace the roo) is from the same farmer and was in the same brooder as the birds I already had, and it was at the fair too, do you think it would be ok to just re-introduce them or do I still need to quarantine the one bird from the 5?

I would still quarantine, just as a precaution. Even though your birds are healthy, and the new bird is technically coming from the same flock, it's still possible that one or more of the farmer's flock could have picked up a disease, or may be harboring an existing disease that was already in his flock. Also, things can change in a month's time. But, you'll have to make your own decisions regarding how much disease risk is acceptable to you. A lot of people bring new birds home and stick them in their coop the same day. It usually works out ok, other times the new birds bring in mites or lice, or a disease that has potential to wipe out the entire flock. Others go through a lengthy quarantine, while others do an ineffective quarantine. (not much space between the new and the old, or the old are free ranging, thus having access to close proximity of the new, flock keepers moving between flocks without sanitizing.) What ever your comfort level, that's what you should do. I don't think there's a one size fit's all answer here, merely expressed opinions about what others would choose to do in a similar circumstance.

Thanks! She's is separate right now since my other chicks are in the brooder right now. They will move to the just finished today coop tomorrow, so I'll just move her from the dog crate she's in to a cleaned brooder.

Medical quarantine aside.......Integrating one hen is going to be tricky...keep that in mind.

Here's some notes I've taken on integration that I found to be very helpful.
See if any of them, or the links provided, might offer some tips that will assist you in your situation:

Integration of new chickens to flock.

Consider medical quarantine.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact. Integrating new birds of equal size works best.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places to hide out of line of sight and/or up and away from bully birds.

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

One other thought on integration: You might want to take one of your current flock members... I'd choose one from the middle of the pecking order... and put her with the new bird for about a week. Then you can integrate the 2 girls together, and the newbie will have a friend to help her through the process.

Back
Top Bottom