Should I quarantine/cull??

Very kind people here have shared meds with me for my birds for various things, though none respiratory. If I had a tube of it and some left, I'd be glad to send it to you. I've never actually checked the price of it.
Your flock is already exposed to whatever your hen has, so quarantine may or may not do a bit of good at this point. And Terramycin is a waste of time and money since it is not good for much of anything like CRD. If you medicate, I'd use Tylan injectible.

A chicken is different from a dog. There is a way to like something but not be too emotionally attached. I've lost animals from various things. With chickens, they are so frail sometimes it better to not be as attached (I learned the hard way). I don't know what is wrong with your hen, but if it were my choice I'd do what ever I could within monetary means. I hope that culling would be your last choice, however.

I'd like others to understand that everyones different, and not be so harsh to someone seeking help. Please don't let the bad sides of our human nature show so often.

You know, if it's showing the bad side of human nature to express regret at the suffering of a living thing, then I guess I must be a bad person. I know if I can afford a camera and a computer... well, nuf said.

You cant get pets if you won't care for them period. That chicken needs help, and who cares if it costs, do what is right. It shouldn't die do to improper care. That's just my opinion, and I would love to help you, but medication is the only way to treat it, but at least quarantine the poor thing, it appears to be in great health other than the eye problem, so do something before it gets worse

Last edited:
is it just the one eye?, if so maybe she got something imbedded in it and it is bothering her, I guess I would treat her,a tube of eye ointment is only like $9 here,and it would last a long long time,I usually have some on hand anyway for the horses and the hunting dogs,they are always coming in from the field with seeds and crap in their eyes.

I'm not getting into this, you didn't understand what I meant.
No one said you were bad person. Don't take it that way. There is a better way to say things to people than being terse.
This person asked for help and advise, not someones judgement.
The end.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add to everyone that does share eye meds between pets and themselves to please try to use sterile techniques if possible. Put the ointment on a clean or preferably gloved finger and then apply it so the whole tube tip doesn't touch the eye and spread the infections between everyone.
Also, if you don't know if the eye hasn't been scratched before you medicate, please make sure the medication doesn't have any steroids in it.
Steroids are great if there's no scratch and it's just irritation but for scratches and most fungus infections it'll just spread like wildfire.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Hang in there!

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom