Should i rely on him or should I not?

ThePRfan

Songster
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
This morning my rooster was crowing.Accept this time it wasn't a "wake up!im hungry!" crow.The people down the dirt road have a rooster.I knew this could turn deadly if they communicate too much and bring it to a fight.Could
I rely on my rooster not to do that and defend the hens?Will this rooster come from his house to the farm?And I am"Not"sure whether he's any breed of my kind.He had a strong crow,but sounded young.Still I dont want any mystery chicks that aren't even the breed I want!

Suggestions?Im worried if he'll kill old Joe.Joe's an old rooster in I do trust him,but he's a highly tempered roost and im afraid.

If you want to keep your chickens pure you'll have to provide housing to keep them away from the other rooster.

How far away is this other rooster? Are there hens where he lives? If it's any distance at all, and he does have his own harem, I think Old Joe will be alright. If you're that worried about it, though, you might want to consider building your chickens and enclosure so they can't get out and the neighbor can't get in.

How far away is this other rooster? Are there hens where he lives? If it's any distance at all, and he does have his own harem, I think Old Joe will be alright. If you're that worried about it, though, you might want to consider building your chickens and enclosure so they can't get out and the neighbor can't get in.
Its a field that splits us both,not too far its the first house,its not even a mile.This rooster could find himself into the yard lets say perhaps in 5 minutes.I'm not sure about his hens,but they were talking about something.What if he doesn't have his own hens?Will that encourage him to come even more?

I think "not even a mile" is probably enough separation. The roosters might go that far in a few minutes if they want to but their job description is 98% to take care of the hens. They won't leave the hens to go far to fight and they won't be able to move the hens that far easily if at all. That's my opinion based on a relatively small number of roosters.

I have a neighbor with flocks less than 2 football fields down the hill from me and I've never seen his roosters up here and he does let them out when he's not growing a garden. In fact, there are roosters all around me at varying distances and there have never been any stray roosters on my property since I've lived here. I have 7 of my own answering the ones around me at different times during the day.

Quite a few of the people in our area have chickens. So far the only problem we have had is the crow offs. Our roos and their can all hear each other so when once starts crowing it has a domino effect. Despite the closeness, they all pretty much stay in their own areas.

Back
Top Bottom