Should I remove and egg i'm not sure about on day 18 or wait?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by princessmama, Apr 2, 2009.

1. princessmama

princessmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    We have eight chicken eggs we got from a neighbor, various breeds. This is our first time incubating. I candled the eggs tonight and one of the eggs, I think it is a banty because it is very small and roundish, seems like the air cell fills up half the egg. This just happened this week as it was fine before. I just read that small eggs dry out quickly, so I guess this is the problem since we have mixed sizes. So, i'm guessing the chick probably isn't alive still?? Should I remove the egg, because of the possibility of rotting, or should I leave it?[​IMG]

2. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I would leave it, and maybe put the egg on top of a wet washrag while the others set around the bator.

At day 18, it's anyone's guess...just read a few threads and you will find that MANY people have seen things go either way no matter what is tried!

Courage! Hope! Good luck on your hatch!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yup, it's worth a shot. Here's to a good hatch! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  4. princessmama

Apr 2, 2009
    Thanks:) I will leave it. I would rather! I've just heard about eggs exploding and such... I've been scanning through the forum looking for info, there's a lot to sift through:p

I'll try the wet washrag too.

We're so excited about our first chickens, I think I will be more disappointed than the kids if they don't hatch! They look good tho, the little wigglers:D

5. princessmama

Apr 2, 2009
    Guess what!!! This little chick was the very first one out of the shell! [​IMG]

6. metcalfmk

metcalfmk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    Congratulations!!! And as far as the exploding egg thing goes, you will more than likely be able to smell a 'bad' egg for a while before it blows!

Good luck with your hatch

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  7. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Congrats

The little ones always seem to be first out.

8. princessmama

Apr 2, 2009
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG] I wondered about smelling the egg first, so I wasn't TOO worried once I thought about it a little more...

My kiddos just got to see a chick push it's way out of the shell and they were nearly breathless--lil' cuties [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by