Should I remove the duck?

Jenwa098

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 24, 2014
Hello! My Indian Runner duck hatched 8 ducklings. One was very weak and is still half the size of the others, but is finally acting like a normal duckling with a lot of TLC and I want to keep him alive! The ducklings are now 9 to 10 days old.

Here's the problem: The hen HAD been wonderful. She has been very aggressive to me when I try to feed and water. At about day 7 I started noticing marks on the ducklings necks,. These marks are very similar to the indent I end up with when I have been bitten but the duck...At first I tried to explain it away. I had the ducklings in a pool with a little water. The first few times went great even with the duck entering the water, but yesterday the duck entered the water and literally grabbed her duckling by the back of the head. Nothing happened, but I was surprised for sure.

I tried to attribute it to me being there and bringing out her aggression...but quite frankly all of the other marks have just "shown up." I have two feeding and watering stations at all times, but I feel like the duck must be grabbing random ducklings from time to time perhaps when the food runs low before I feed in the morning. Is this normal duck behavior, just keeping them in line, or should I remove her before I go out one morning to a dead or injured duckling? I don't remember my other Indian Runners exhibiting this behavior, and she has otherwise been great and gentle.

Some duck mothers do get aggressive, I have not read a good explanation why. I would brood them without her if she does this, whether randomly or not.

My muscovy mom started attacking her white ducklings all of a sudden. She didn't bother the black or chocolates they were about 3 weeks old when she started. I removed her before she killed them.

I just took all 9 ducklings away from my pekin 2 days ago for the same reason. I'm still upset about it, not what I wished for the babies, but I had to remove them. I'm still riddled with guilt because momma acts so upset about it still. But frankly she was acting upset when they were still with her. Don't think I will ever let her do this again. She's stressed and I just want her to be okay. And babies too. I hope you get through it ok too.

Back
Top Bottom