Should I remove the turner?

SkyWarrior

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Wilds of Montana
I have an incubator with a turner going with Coturnix eggs. I was wondering when I stop the turner on the 12th day if I should remove the turner because the Coturnix quail legs are so delicate and Coturnix chicks are so small? Thoughts?
idunno.gif

That is one possibility. The other thing I did on my ONE quail hatch was to put the vinyl Kitchen liner that keeps things from sliding. It's for lining cabinets and utensil drawers....Otherwise the little quail legs will get caught in the wire, as the wire in my incubator was too wide for their leggs..Good luck and have a blessed day Nancy

I don't know how big the risk is for them to hurt their legs by getting them caught in a corner, but I'd remove it just to make clean-up easier.

I don't do quail, but are they small enough to hide under the turner and make them hard to get out of the incubator? As clumsy as I am, I'd maybe think I might hurt one if I had to dig it out from underneath. But I don't know how small they really are.

I'd take it out and put down some paper toweling over the screening. If this is your first time incubating, I've found that I need to barely touch the temp up to make up for the lack of heat from the turner motor. Just a teeny tiny wee little bit.

Back
Top Bottom