1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I remove the turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SkyWarrior, Jan 11, 2012.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I have an incubator with a turner going with Coturnix eggs. I was wondering when I stop the turner on the 12th day if I should remove the turner because the Coturnix quail legs are so delicate and Coturnix chicks are so small? Thoughts?[​IMG]

2. Mandymooligan

Mandymooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Can you unplug the turner and let them hatch on it?

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    That is one possibility. The other thing I did on my ONE quail hatch was to put the vinyl Kitchen liner that keeps things from sliding. It's for lining cabinets and utensil drawers....Otherwise the little quail legs will get caught in the wire, as the wire in my incubator was too wide for their leggs..Good luck and have a blessed day Nancy

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know how big the risk is for them to hurt their legs by getting them caught in a corner, but I'd remove it just to make clean-up easier.

I don't do quail, but are they small enough to hide under the turner and make them hard to get out of the incubator? As clumsy as I am, I'd maybe think I might hurt one if I had to dig it out from underneath. But I don't know how small they really are.

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I'd take it out and put down some paper toweling over the screening. If this is your first time incubating, I've found that I need to barely touch the temp up to make up for the lack of heat from the turner motor. Just a teeny tiny wee little bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by