Should I separate hen from chicks?

kikilauck

Hatching
Jul 28, 2016
Just wondering if I should separate momma hen from her 1 wk old chicks there fenced off in the coop from the other chickens the area for hen and chicks is about 4 feet long and a foot and a half wide. Asking because she keeps stepping on them. I'm afraid to turn hen and chicks loose with flock cause I'm afraid they won't be able to get up the ramp for night time. Please help!!!

Just wondering if I should separate momma hen from her 1 wk old chicks No.there fenced off in the coop from the other chickens the area for hen and chicks is about 4 feet long and a foot and a half wideLarger would be better.. Asking because she keeps stepping on them. Chicks are quite resilient and won't be harmed.I'm afraid to turn hen and chicks loose with flock cause I'm afraid they won't be able to get up the ramp for night time. Within a short time the chicks will be old enough to handle the ramp.Please help!!!

When the chicks are old enough the mom will drive the chicks away to be on their own. Usually between 4 and 6 weeks, but that time frame varies a great deal from hen to hen. What breed are they? If they are a large breed your pen is too small; even for bantam breeds it is small.

There buff orington.

Should I turn hen and chicks loose with the flock?
Or separate hen from chicks or move them to a bigger area outside with a large dog crate and chicken fencing?

There is no one size fit's all answer here. they definitely need more room. If your coop and run are plenty big enough, and you don't have any hens who are chick killers, I'd let the hen and her brood out to mingle with the flock. Sooner the better. You will have to watch to be sure the chicks don't get attacked by other hens, or if they do, that Mama is enough of a broody b!+ch to handle any one who dares to mess with her babies. By 2 weeks, chicks have good flight feathers and can manage the ramp just fine. You may need to watch, or assist, or modify the ramp until then to be sure babies can handle it.

Back
Top Bottom