Should I shoo my broody off an empty nest?

The cage method works just fine for me. I had two hens go broody on me a few weeks ago and a third who made a valiant effort. I tried just taking them off the nest repeatedly but when they were off the nest they would lay on the ground instead. One of them I put in the cage for three days, the second was in for two days and the third only took one day. They walk around the cage the whole time, never settling down. I took them out of the cage at night and put them in the coop and blocked off the nesting boxes with a long board so they couldn't get in. While they do seem funky at first, after the broodiness is broken they go right back to being normal. (except the second one went broody again this week, I only had her in the cage one day and she stopped) I think it is best to break it if you are not going to hatch any chicks because they really can get weak from not eating or drinking. Also, I find that if one is broody she is cranky and constantly scaring the other hens out of the nesting boxes and my egg production goes down from all my hens not just the broody ones. It usually takes a little while for them to start laying again after being broody. I haven't been able to bring myself to use the water method as I kept thinking how I would feel if I was all hormonal and someone threw me in a tub of cold water!
hit.gif
But, I probably would have if the cage didn't work.
big_smile.png

CJ

It should be stubborn as a broody hen rather than as a mule! I've not gotten a wire cage yet but tried taking the eggs and putting ice under her, now she is still sitting and chirping and growling away - guarding the ice pack instead!
roll.png
I wish I had eggs for her to hatch but we've no roo.

Back
Top Bottom