Should I shower?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Easter eggers, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    After going into town should I shower before going to see my flock? How many of you do this?

2. user104534

user104534 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2011
    The only time I have showered before seeing my animals was when I went to the county fair and was around lots of rabbits and chickens. You probably don't need to shower just from going into town, but if you were around lots of other animals it wouldn't hurt.

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

My wife makes me shower before going to town..... picky old woman.

But I only shower before going to see my flocks if I've been around other fowl while in town.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I never have, although I've changed clothes/shoes. Like the others, I'm presuming you mean after you've gone to a show or swap or something???

5. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    My wife makes me shower before going to town..... picky old woman.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I never even thought about it...I guess after being around other animals it would make sense....and maybe if you stop at Walmart. (just kidding! I shop there myself!)​

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    No, but I do keep a special pair of shoes that I wear in the chicken yard that I don't wear anywhere else. I never wear shoes that I use out in the world into the chicken yard, either.

I once visited a feed store that was so disgusting I felt the need to disinfect myself the minute I got home, but that's the only time.

7. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    We always leave an old towel and a bottle of bleach near the front gate when we know we are going to a sale, fair, flea makt, etc. To wipe down the bottoms of our shoes; not just for the chickens, but for the calves and goats.

Edited to add, I once "bird-sat" for a guy that had me shower before going out to his bird-room and left me a nice robe to wear while I took care of them. He had some high-dollar parrot pairs - Eclectus, cockatoos, etc.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by