Should I Start To Introduce Laying Feed To My 17 Week Old Pullets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Adopted Chickenman, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Adopted Chickenman

Adopted Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Rogers
    Since I am new to this endeavor of raising chickens, I was wondering if I should introduce laying feed to my girls. From what I have read, they say to change feed slowly a week or two ahead if possible so their systems can adjust to the different formula. I have also read that I should keep them on grower finnisher untill they lay their first eggs. What is the general accepted method of changing their feed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I wait till I see the first egg then start the change. Sometimes I just feed a game bird or multi flock since they have more protein and we always have a pail of oyster shell next to the grit.

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I started giving layer crumbles at 18 weeks, because that's when I saw my first egg.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I don't use layer feed any more. I have far too many different ages of chickens in my flock PLUS two Cayuga ducks. So I feed grower/finisher to everybody, add a little brewer's yeast to the ducks' food, and keep crushed oyster shell available free choice. (Nailed an empty tuna can to an inside coop wall next to the feeder in there, and keep it full of oyster shell.) Those that need it, take it.

No problem with egg shell hardness, either.

5. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Next wk mine are 17wks. I'm giong to mix 50/50 Grower/ Finisher and Layer till it runs out and then straight Layer, I did the same from Ckick Starter to grower Finisher. A little extreme? I don't know but I feel better knowing there's no abrupt change. OCD maybe. My wife thinks so.

6. newbie coops

newbie coops Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    Northern New England
    I transition mine from starter to grower at around 8 weeks, then from grower to layer at around 12 weeks. Some of the flock always starts laying around 16 weeks, then one or two start laying every week until they all are. They've always been hale and healthy, and their eggs are great. First eggs are always mini-sized versions of the perfect egg - never an egg without a shell or a soft shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by